What would a an ideal carry gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
evidently you believe in all the advertising BS for Glocks ... there are NO safeties
please consider this my last response for this non-sense
go right ahead and CCW your Glock without a holster ..

Funny you don't wanna answer the question?

It's not BS, it's proven facts. How many glocks are used for carry? How many reports of people shooting themselves when placed in the pocket? Show me the stats, prove me wrong.

I don't CCW in my pocket, I use a holster like a responsible person should, does not matter what I carry. I'm pretty sure the law also says it should be carried in a holster.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Glock 21 is one of my favorite guns but I'm going to agree about the safety thing. Yes they have a safety that keeps them from going of when dropped and what not but the "trigger safety" is a joke. I've known 4 people personally that have had accidental/negligent discharges resulting in a gunshot wound. Three were experienced police officers and/or Sheriff deputies and the other a young boy about 14. Every single accident happened when the trigger was activated and a safety on the trigger has no effect on these. Suffice to say the largest majority of non-intentional discharges are the result of the trigger being pulled in some manner not by guns falling or being bumped or whatnot.

In these four cases one was an off duty officer preparing to clean his duty weapon and some others he had shot that day while practicing. He had unloaded all the guns in preparation including removing any chambered rounds, however, he forgot to rack his Glock so when he picked it up to disassemble his finger pulled the trigger and he took a .45acp through the thigh and foot.

Second case was an on duty police officer who was was investigating a prowler call and drew his weapon upon hearing something but he was trying to see around a corner and held his gun behind him as he peeked around the corner. He said he didn't even realize his finger was on the trigger because of the adrenaline and *boom*, shot through the butt.

Third case was an on duty officer who was among many other offers searching for a guy who had ran from them on a shooting call and his in a tall grass field. It was nighttime and the officers were combing the tall grass looking for the possibly still armed suspect. One officer stumbles a bit when the bad guy jumped up right next to him. The officer was startled and his gun went off causing a minor wound to the leg, again trigger safety didn't save anything. Last cast...a young man about 14, with friends playing with a gun that belong to one of the teens in the group. The story of what happened was a little different from everyone but everyone agrees the teen with the gun was under the impression the gun was empty as they were but he was the only one playing with it. He was jokingly pointing it at his head and the gun went off, witnesses said he didnt have his finger on the trigger when playing with it and noone saw him pull the trigger but obviously somehow it wa pulled. He was still alive when I arrived but it was an unsurvivable wound and he passed soon after.

Those are four that I know personally and every one was caused when the trigger was pulled somehow unintentionally, accidentally or whatever. A trigger safety is just a wobbly bit on the trigger there's nothing safe about it. As I said I love Glocks and I always have a G21 around but it stays in a holster at all times because it has no manual safety like most other guns. I'm not saying it needs one, as long as you respect that gun is always in "RTF-ready to fire" mode and take appropriate measures it's a fantastic gun and an excellent gun for law enforcement officers since it's "draw and shoot" ready. However, Glocks "trigger safety is just a way to get around certain police and military rules that require some form of external safety and whatnot. They call it a safety but its really just a part of the trigger.

My Glocks always stay in a good holster when not being used. No Glock in our home is ever without it's holster even if its in a drawer or on a shelf ever! It is not safe.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Glock 21 is one of my favorite guns but I'm going to agree about the safety thing. Yes they have a safety that keeps them from going of when dropped and what not but the "trigger safety" is a joke. I've known 4 people personally that have had accidental/negligent discharges resulting in a gunshot wound. Three were experienced police officers and/or Sheriff deputies and the other a young boy about 14. Every single accident happened when the trigger was activated and a safety on the trigger has no effect on these. Suffice to say the largest majority of non-intentional discharges are the result of the trigger being pulled in some manner not by guns falling or being bumped or whatnot.

In these four cases one was an off duty officer preparing to clean his duty weapon and some others he had shot that day while practicing. He had unloaded all the guns in preparation including removing any chambered rounds, however, he forgot to rack his Glock so when he picked it up to disassemble his finger pulled the trigger and he took a .45acp through the thigh and foot.

Second case was an on duty police officer who was was investigating a prowler call and drew his weapon upon hearing something but he was trying to see around a corner and held his gun behind him as he peeked around the corner. He said he didn't even realize his finger was on the trigger because of the adrenaline and *boom*, shot through the butt.

Third case was an on duty officer who was among many other offers searching for a guy who had ran from them on a shooting call and his in a tall grass field. It was nighttime and the officers were combing the tall grass looking for the possibly still armed suspect. One officer stumbles a bit when the bad guy jumped up right next to him. The officer was startled and his gun went off causing a minor wound to the leg, again trigger safety didn't save anything. Last cast...a young man about 14, with friends playing with a gun that belong to one of the teens in the group. The story of what happened was a little different from everyone but everyone agrees the teen with the gun was under the impression the gun was empty as they were but he was the only one playing with it. He was jokingly pointing it at his head and the gun went off, witnesses said he didnt have his finger on the trigger when playing with it and noone saw him pull the trigger but obviously somehow it wa pulled. He was still alive when I arrived but it was an unsurvivable wound and he passed soon after.

Those are four that I know personally and every one was caused when the trigger was pulled somehow unintentionally, accidentally or whatever. A trigger safety is just a wobbly bit on the trigger there's nothing safe about it. As I said I love Glocks and I always have a G21 around but it stays in a holster at all times because it has no manual safety like most other guns. I'm not saying it needs one, as long as you respect that gun is always in "RTF-ready to fire" mode and take appropriate measures it's a fantastic gun and an excellent gun for law enforcement officers since it's "draw and shoot" ready. However, Glocks "trigger safety is just a way to get around certain police and military rules that require some form of external safety and whatnot. They call it a safety but its really just a part of the trigger.

My Glocks always stay in a good holster when not being used. No Glock in our home is ever without it's holster even if its in a drawer or on a shelf ever! It is not safe.

You realize all these people would have had the same thing happen with any other gun? This had nothing to do with being a glock.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna move on. I will continue to carry my glocks, responsibly in a holster, and not worry about people who stick loaded guns stupidly In a pocket or pull the trigger while pointed at themselves. All of these things could happen if it's a glock or 1911. Stupid is stupid.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All those cases would have occurred with any weapon. Every one of them was negligent discharge. The gun is not going to just "go off", regardless of manufacture.

I have personally had a negligent discharge from a Glock 19. It had nothing to do with the manufacture of the gun, rather it was my fault for not paying attention. Luckily no one was hurt.

All the safeties in the world do not compensate for paying attention.

The fact is some people feel comfortable carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber and holstered. Some people do not. Its not right or wrong in general, but how that person feels.

Whatever you carry, and however you carry it, it is up to you to have it properly secured. You are responsible for the weapon, and any projectile that will come out of it, intentional or not. Only you can decide the proper way to carry and handle the firearm.

Regardless of what you buy, carry, and practice with, please train and be safe. It just takes a split second, and you can't take it back!

Sent from my Verizon Motorola X from a deep dark cave.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If Glocks are out, then here's my list:

Sig P938/P238
Sig P6/P225
Sig P290RS
CZ RAMI
CZ 75 Compact/PCR/P-01
Beretta Nano
Remington R51
HK P7
Springfield CMP
Springfield's XDs
S&W M&P Shield
Kahr PM9
Ruger LC9

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ideal? The ideal gun for CCW today will most likely be different than in 5 years when you are legally allowed to carry one. Maybe you should create yet another thread about that.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haaaa! Oh you will figure out that it ain't just all about looks buddy! Just don't quit trying is the answer. Persistance is the key, and just be yourself. Hang in there and keep after it. You will succeed. You can't go wrong liking guns, that in my book makes you a step ahead of the game!!

True that! I guess it's just the fact I can't grow a pair and do something? I do everything right and yet it's like I'm back at square one, AGAIN.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The XDM 3.8 Compact in 9mm is awesome! It has some (very little) recoil, but its a great gun. May be just a tad on the too thick and heavy for carry though, just depends on how you carry, and how much you care about concealment.

I'm a fairly large guy, 150lbs and I'm about 6 foot 1 inch or so (still haven't stopped growing). So the XDM 3.8 Compact is like between a Glock 19 and 26 to me as far as size.
I've tried different guns on and walked around my house just to get a feel and if anyone notices it, of course my dad can, he's an ex-cop of he knows what to look for.
But of course it's going to be an IWB holster for it, and all I'd probably have to do it wear a large t-shirt or put on a light jacket.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is simply what you want to carry. I have an IWB holster and can carry a Glock 20 unseen with a tshirt tucked in over it.
The weight is more of a problem than concealment. You would need to wear a belt to carry any gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom