What would a an ideal carry gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion, which doesn't mean squat to anyone but me, is you are 16 years old, you have 5 years until you can carry, or even buy your own pistola. In 5 years, if you buy/sell/trade 6 pistola's (trade/sell your pistol every other month) around with the help of your dad, you are going to own 30 different said pistola's. That is how you are going to figure out what you like. Every other month, trade for something else, find a pawn shop you like that gets in good used inventory, gun shows, or wheel and deal here on the forum, armslist, (all with help from your dad), etc. Exposure is how you are going to find what YOU like and what fits YOU. In 5 years you could be 5-12 inches taller, 70 lbs heavier, and go from having little boy hands or gorilla hands, so what fits you now, will probably not fit you in 5 years when it matters.

Keep a log of what you get, and record what you like or dislike about each one, that way you can always go back and look at your notes about a particular one if you ever reconsider buying the same one again.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion, which doesn't mean squat to anyone but me, is you are 16 years old, you have 5 years until you can carry, or even buy your own pistola. In 5 years, if you buy/sell/trade 6 pistola's (trade/sell your pistol every other month) around with the help of your dad, you are going to own 30 different said pistola's. That is how you are going to figure out what you like. Every other month, trade for something else, find a pawn shop you like that gets in good used inventory, gun shows, or wheel and deal here on the forum, armslist, (all with help from your dad), etc. Exposure is how you are going to find what YOU like and what fits YOU. In 5 years you could be 5-12 inches taller, 70 lbs heavier, and go from having little boy hands or gorilla hands, so what fits you now, will probably not fit you in 5 years when it matters.

Keep a log of what you get, and record what you like or dislike about each one, that way you can always go back and look at your notes about a particular one if you ever reconsider buying the same one again.

True, that's also what I'm kinda doing. I've pretty much have narrowed down to what I want at the moment, It's kinda a tie between a Sig P239 and a Kahr CW45.
I was thinking about the XDM 3.8 Compact and the XDs (both in 9mm) but the XDs feels kinda funny and the XDM is just a bit to short in the grip, I have to move my pinkie without snagging it up in the magwell. Might still consider it though, I have to do the same thing with my Walther PPK/S.
My dad has a Kahr CW9 and I like it, it's just kinda snappy.... then again today was the second time I've ever shot any type of Kahr handgun. I'm just worried that the CW45 will be a lot more snappier, cuz if so then I'm not gonna enjoy it that much.
With the Sig, only problem it that I'm a lefty, but that's not a big deal. All I have to do is just rack the slide to load the chamber when I reload. I'm a HUGE Sig lover!

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, the P6/P225 are single stack 9s. They are similar in size to a P229, but slimmer and lighter. The P6s are typically European LE agency trade-ins while the 225s are the discontinued civilian version of the 6.

My P6 carries more comfortably than my smaller G26!
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_18_upereza6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh, ok. I just never knew about them so I went and asked my dad and he said the same thing.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, that's also what I'm kinda doing. I've pretty much have narrowed down to what I want at the moment, It's kinda a tie between a Sig P239 and a Kahr CW45.
I was thinking about the XDM 3.8 Compact and the XDs (both in 9mm) but the XDs feels kinda funny and the XDM is just a bit to short in the grip, I have to move my pinkie without snagging it up in the magwell. Might still consider it though, I have to do the same thing with my Walther PPK/S.
My dad has a Kahr CW9 and I like it, it's just kinda snappy.... then again today was the second time I've ever shot any type of Kahr handgun. I'm just worried that the CW45 will be a lot more snappier, cuz if so then I'm not gonna enjoy it that much.
With the Sig, only problem it that I'm a lefty, but that's not a big deal. All I have to do is just rack the slide to load the chamber when I reload. I'm a HUGE Sig lover!

Don't judge on your first time shooting something. After your second or third time shooting it, and getting a feel for it, you'll start to know what to expect and how to handle it, and you may grow into liking it after some more rounds down range. Just don't be afraid to put something down if you think it is too much for you.

Sounds like you are well on the way to finding something you will like in the long run.

Most people will have that "1" gun that fits them, just takes time to find it. Me, 1911 with Houge (sp?) grips. Fits me like a glove.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't judge on your first time shooting something. After your second or third time shooting it, and getting a feel for it, you'll start to know what to expect and how to handle it, and you may grow into liking it after some more rounds down range. Just don't be afraid to put something down if you think it is too much for you.

Sounds like you are well on the way to finding something you will like in the long run.

Most people will have that "1" gun that fits them, just takes time to find it. Me, 1911 with Houge (sp?) grips. Fits me like a glove.

Right now I do have that "1" gun and that's my Beretta M92FS Centurion. But it's a 'lil to big to be packing on ya' during summer time for something like that. :P

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carry handgun is a tool. Glock is the tool that other tools are measured by. Learn to use the tool properly and efficiently. Develop your tastes/dislikes/aesthetics from there. There are different ways to drive a nail - but you should start with a hammer.

P.S. Try a weak hand draw and engagement drill - see how you like them manual safeties on a carry gun .....

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carry handgun is a tool. Glock is the tool that other tools are measured by. Learn to use the tool properly and efficiently. Develop your tastes/dislikes/aesthetics from there. There are different ways to drive a nail - but you should start with a hammer.

P.S. Try a weak hand draw and engagement drill - see how you like them manual safeties on a carry gun .....

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Glock's, I just don't really have a taste for them. I had two and got rid of them.
I do different drills like that, other things like "El Presidenta", etc. I don't have a problem with manual safeties.
I practice a lot with my *cough cough* Colt 1911 Gold Cup National Match *cough cough* :P That's my baby/competition gun.

Okietrader

New to the site!
Reaction score
I like my Springfield EMP 1911 9MM. Very concealable and not too heavy. Looks great and feels great.
Did have to send it back to Springfield due to some stove pipes and failure to chamber issues. They straightened it out.
A little pricy though at 1K.

Latest posts

Top Bottom