What would you use to shoot turtles around the pond?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I would use is a bolt action .22 rifle. Or a semi-auto .22 rifle, if the sub-sonic ammo would cycle the action reliably. Did you ever try the plastic-pop-bottle-taped-to-the-muzzle-trick? Quiets the muzzle report a bit. A little bit.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I would use is a bolt action .22 rifle. Or a semi-auto .22 rifle, if the sub-sonic ammo would cycle the action reliably. Did you ever try the plastic-pop-bottle-taped-to-the-muzzle-trick? Quiets the muzzle report a bit. A little bit.

pop bottle + tape = 10 years in the pokey if caught.
only has to quiet by 1 decibel to be a suppressor.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
''be vvery careful shooting the surface of water.i took a 22 round in the thigh from someone shooting a turtle on the surface of a pond.not only did that hurt,ALOT(OW), but it was expensive and he was no longer considered a friend after that.

bill allen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am careful about shooting into the pond. My neighbors and I are each on 10 acre tracks that are narrow but long. I only shoot where I know the bullet can't hurt anybody. The pond also has a high berm around it. I am shooting safely and consideration for my neighbors is why I want something quiet. I don't want anybody nervous about me shooting into the pond. The floating turtle trap sounds like something I need to check out. I will look for the sub-sonic ammo at Bass Pro and give that a try.

A gun with a suppressor sounds like a good idea, too. I have no experience with suppressors but installing one on a .22 seems like a good answer. I would expect a .22 would work much better than a pellet gun. This a new pond that I built last year and several months ago stocked with fish and right now it is turtle heaven. I don't know if I can keep them shot out of there or not. I appreciate all of the ideas. Thanks...

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
General Electric GAU-8/A Avenger 30 mm. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!!!

ai977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_800px_GAU_8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg

ai977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_A_10_21.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom