What would you use to shoot turtles around the pond?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am using a 10-22 now and had them all cleared out of my ponds last year, but those bastards are back.

Building up a suppressed Saiga-410 now. Much easier to dust them in the head when they just peek their head up out of the water.

Tony

That's friggin awesome. I'm proud to be in the same state as Tony and Bob.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's friggin awesome. I'm proud to be in the same state as Tony and Bob.

I think we have a Tromix Fanboy! :rollingla

Seriously though...They make some cool toys and I'd love to go shoot with them. :gun1:

In regards to legality...

If it is a GRDA reservoir, you may NOT shoot over it. I believe the exception to this is bow fishing.

http://www.grda.com/Water/Publications/Lake Rules 07-2008.pdf

300:35-3-10 said:
(c) The discharge of any firearms or bows in, over or across the waters of the lakes is expressly prohibited except as regulated by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. In no event shall the use of firearms or bows be conducted in a manner which interferes with the business of GRDA’s projects or endangers the public.

Obviously a farm or private pond wouldn't be held to the same regulations...

As far as fish and game goes:

From: http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/repandamph.htm

Nuisance Reptiles

Nothing prohibits the control of reptiles other than those listed as endangered or threatened, by landowners, lessees, or occupants of such land when such reptiles are creating a nuisance.

I think most aquatic turtles could be considered "Nuisance Reptiles".

Being a "Nuisance Animal" should also make the use of "tax stamped" suppressors on Turtles "A-OK"... (NO POP BOTTLES!)

I checked to see what "endangered or threatened" turtle species can be found in Oklahoma:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/endanger2.htm

NO species of turtle is listed as "Threatened or Endangered" (although several are Catagory II species of concern)

SO...to sum it all up. YES, In Oklahoma it is legal to open fire on turtles with any legal weapon as long as you are in a place where it is legal to be shooting that weapon.

With that being said...back to the OP's question...Growing up I always used a pellet gun. Head shots were critical though. The red dots on the sides of there head made for excellent targets. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i would use a floating turtle trap.

I'm going with crash on this one. If there is too much danger from shooting, then a floating trap will clean a pond out pretty quick. You can rent them from Dunns Fish farms. They make rounds around the state bringing fish that they sell, and will bring a trap to you.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two M1 Garands hammering with .30-06 can make a turtle fly through the air atop a geyser of water....or so somone told me. :lookaroun

bill allen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I have somewhat educated my turtles. After a few shots they disappear but even soon after I arrive they only come up a good way away from me making a head shot impossible for my skills. I think that if I use something loud I am not going to see very many turtles plus I don't want to be making a bunch of noise around the pond with neighbors close by. The turtle trap sounds good but I don't like the idea of renting. I went out a day or two after shooting and two turtles were dead floating on the water I only hope I got many more but that they sank to the bottom. It is hard to tell if get them or not when the water is choppy and they are some ways away.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think when hunting that type of game, it is inhumane to use anything less than the big magnum calibers (.416 Rigby, .460 Weatherby Mag, .470 Nitro Express, .50 BMG, etc.)... otherwise you'll risk just wounding him. Have you ever had to track a wounded turtle's blood trail through the high veld for a week, just so you can put the poor old chap out of his misery? Not a good experience. Also, have you ever been charged by a full-grown male turtle? There is a big difference between a cartridge that is capable of KILLING him and one that is capable of STOPPING him.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how about a accurate .38 6" bbl,158 wadcutter at 600 fps or so?? that should go through any turttle shell,and minumize richoche,you also could use same load in 357 rifle, load single shot, gun might not feed round, you can make up hand loads for .243 and larger with lead flatnose bullets or buckshot at reduced velocities, longer rifle bbl will be quieter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom