What's up with the Midlength AR?.. and a sight ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to building an AR from the infamous Mega group buy.
I've got the lower set up with a Magpul MOE stock.

Thinking about uppers and I'm going to go with iron sights for now. Got the LMT fixed rear iron sight. Just like the A2 type sight. Looks good except for the huge knob on the side that you tighten to attack it to the rail.

Won't be getting any optics yet so that's why I'm setting up for iron sights.

Looking at the uppers and I like the Bravo Company uppers in mid length. I'm thinking that the mid length will offer a bit longer sight radius which will be a plus for an iron sighted AR.

Beyond the sight length what are your guys opinions on the mid lengths? The softer impulse, less wear on parts due to less pressure. Is that all its cracked up to be? Is a mid length gas system really better?

My purpose for this AR will be just a plinker, I'm no long range sniper or super tacticool operator. I'm thinking of a 16 inch barrel and maybe I can do some three gun matches of other competitions.

So what do you guys think of the Spike's uppers. There's a good deal on the upper that I saw that included the BCG. Looked too good to be true for the price. Seems like Spikes is the next big thing that some love and some love to hate.

OK guys those are my AR doubts right now. Looking forward to your opinions.
Thanks

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was going for lightweight, I'd go for the carbine length gas system, but functionally the midlength has the advantages you listed. I've shot the different gas lengths side by side and the difference in the way they recoil is quite noticeable. I can't comment knowledgeably on the difference in wear, but that seems to be the consensus. Quality parts with either setup are going to last a long time, through several thousands of dollars worth of ammo anyways.

Those Spike's uppers aren't bad, but I gotta have chrome lined or stainless for the ease of cleaning. That's why the melonite uppers get discounted more.

You're on the right track with Bravo Company. Stick a LMT or BCM bolt group in one of those uppers and you've got a great weapon.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midlengths also give a lot more space to stretch out your support arm/hand than you'd think. I like to get my left hand out as far as possible. Carbine length is just annoying in that respect. Midlength feels much more natural for me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you're planning to SBR it, I'd definitely go with a middie for all the practical and mechanical benefits. Bravo Co. makes great stuff for sure!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can always get a mid-length pencil barrel and get light-weight and mid-length (that's what I did with one of mine).

A few manufacturers out there make mid-length skinnys.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Midlengths also give a lot more space to stretch out your support arm/hand than you'd think. I like to get my left hand out as far as possible. Carbine length is just annoying in that respect. Midlength feels much more natural for me.

This is another thing I learned at the 3-gun on Sunday. My vertical grip may not be the best idea in certain situations and can get in the way and now without the vertical grip the carbine length just feels too short.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is another thing I learned at the 3-gun on Sunday. My vertical grip may not be the best idea in certain situations and can get in the way and now without the vertical grip the carbine length just feels too short.

Especially when you shoot nose to charging handle with the stock set up short. You can always put a longer length handguard on, but then there really isn't any weight difference between the two gas lengths.

That guy's logic for why the carbine length system cycles more harshly makes sense, but there's gotta be more to it that in just the length of the barrel past the gas hole. My 11.5" SBR w/ carbine length gas recoils about like your typical 14.5/16" carbine.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also not a fan of the short handguard and sight radius of the M4. It just seems like a waste of barrel space to me... you have all that barrel length to put a handguard and front sight on, yet you're only using half of it? What's the point in limiting your sight radius and your support hand grip like that?

I know it makes it a tad lighter to have that short handguard, but how much more weight are we really talking about here? Not much.

The benefits you get from a longer handguard easily outweigh the meager weight increase. A longer sight radius makes a BIG difference in iron-sight shooting. Also, for close-quarters shooting, it is best to grab the grip as far forward as you can for better control and to snap it on target quicker. Even for long range shooting, while using a sling for support, I like to get my support hand farther forward than the M4 grips allow.

I like the "dissipator" setup the best, personally... A dissipator uses standard-length handguards on a 16" barrel, which puts the front sight right out on the end of the barrel (the way a rifle should be, IMO). It uses a carbine-length gas system under the handguards. The front sight block looks like it has a gas port in it, but it doesn't. Dissipator uppers never quite caught on, and not very many people make them.

A midlength is pretty good, too. You do have that gas system advantage.

Ideally, I would want a dissipator-style setup, only with a railed front sight mount instead of the fixed one, and a mid-length gas system under the handguards instead of a carbine-length. I guess I could build something like this, but I'll probably just end up going the easier route and buying a mid-length upper when I decide I want an AR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom