What's Your Side-Hustle or Passive Income? Legit Question.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I must be cut from the same cloth as you.
I do every single thing I can if I have the tools, if not I’ll buy or barrow them.
My truck basically needs a new front end. I took it to Toyota to get a complete part list. Their quote was $6,200. I bought all the parts for less than $1,500. Now I sit patiently for them to arrive! I’ll have to rent most of the tools from o’Reilly’s.
Will save me mucho dinero!
Wife and others said I should scrap the truck and buy a different one, I tried to explain a truck would cost more than I could fix mine for plus I would be inheriting someone’s else’s problems. They don’t understand. I just grew up poor, so I had to fix everything
Wait, you can rent tools?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was always told “if you’re good at what you do, just do more of it”. So typically that’s what I’ve done. Most of my previous employers allowed me almost unlimited overtime certain times of the year, so it wasn’t an issue. I have dabbled around in side money here and there though. Played with stocks for a bit, turned 2-3k into 15k or so. Spent 10k of it, lost most of the rest. Occasionally I’ll find good stuff at garage sales or something that I know I can flip for a good profit.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to buy/sell cars, trucks and trailers. That eventually turned into flipping houses (same concept, more money) which eventually became owning rental properties. Now I have a good amount of houses, but it's well past the "side hustle" category.

So my only side hustle left is related to soccer. I am a local club referee assignor. I referee from youth to semi-pro. I'm also one of those traveling tournament mercenary refs that allowed me to work in around 7 states I think. I am also one of about 20 people in the state that are licensed to teach the referee courses to new referees. The field portion of the classes typically use 2-4 instructors depending on the size of the class and I tend to volunteer a lot (the pay is terrible) so I've been able to do several classes per season. Refereeing is really good money for teenagers and college kids and several adults make good supplemental income. I just love the sport and use the exercise to not get fat. My wife and son are also referees and my wife also does tournament admin work around the state at various clubs.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work for an Architectural firm in Dallas for my full time job running projects from beginning to end. On the side, I do CAD work for people I've worked with throughout the years. I also, on occasion, do as built surveys for a company that I connected with during covid. Those are pretty lucrative, but I only do a few a year. Unfortunately I'm out of the running on the surveys right now because I can't climb a ladder because of my shoulder surgery.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a welder for about 25 years, MIG, TIG, FCAW, SMAW, and sub arc. Mostly midstream oil and gas, or gas measurement equipment. Went from that into Quality Management in the same sector. Been doing that for about 12-15 years now.
I occasionally will use my CWI certification to qualify welders and welding procedures or other Quality related functions for a couple of local shops. That's usually my fun money.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y
I'm truly interested to know what the members here on OSA are doing that makes them a little extra walk-around cash or what you do to make a nice passive income that is getting contributed to your retirement. Not trying to get into anyone's financial business so don't take this question the wrong way. I have a bit more interest in the Passive Income side of this question but am interested in hearing what everyone is doing to make that extra buck. Do you enjoy doing it or is a chore but the money is too good to stop?

What do you do that makes you a little extra or a lot extra? Hoping this becomes a interesting thread.
You tried your best IRS.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For my full time job I work as a wind installation manager. Now that I travel for work I don’t get the extra time. As a side hustle I use to work on boat motors and out drives. Now I just buy and sale things that will make me a little extra cash. I can almost always find someone that need the cash at a construction sites. Sounds bad but a lot of young kids buy stuff then can’t pay their bills.

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm like some of the other members on here, I repair things that break around the house. Just yesterday my told me we needed a new commode seat because one of the plastic spacers between the lid and ring broke. This is one of the oak ones that cost around $35 to $40 dollars. It took about 10 minutes to make a new on my lathe. Last week my wife said there was an odor like an open drain in the master bathroom. I unhooked the water line to the sink. When I started to unhook the drain line, it broke off in my hand. A steel pipe nipple going into the wall was rotted out. I borrowed a 1 1/2" NPT off a friend and got the threads cleaned out and replaced it with PVC. I figured I saved us $300 to $400 by not hiring a plumber to fix it. My play money gig used to be teaching the SDA class. We did that for over twenty years. It was good easy money while it lasted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom