When do you clean your carry gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 or 3 times a week, just after I fire it off. Though with the time change, I am limited to the weekends now. Sucks. I love to shoot after work.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a BHP and only clean it after it gets shot. And that's only if it gets shot a lot and the powder buildup starts to cause my ocd to flare. Afterwards I cock the hammer and pull the trigger, if it falls im good...not really much need for a function test IMO after a basic field strip. Knowing your weapon is key for a carry gun.

Hey dennishoddy, could you go into a little more detail on that 10 gal bucket? Ive been thinking about putting together a discharge barrel and trying to gather info on successful designs.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry mine everyday and i usually don't clean it unless I shoot it. Now I will get the lent out and lube it up a tad. But it is a glock so it don't take much. I have never had any problems doing it his way. Never had one malfunction yet.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get to the range quite often,,,
I always shoot at least one mag from my carry gun,,,
My habit, and I know some will disagree, is to clean/oil it every time.

I mean why not?
It only takes five minutes to do it,,,
It's not like wiping the rails and re-oiling will hurt anything.

It's the tool I bet my life on,,,
Why not go that extra mile for maintenance.

Aarond

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The gun I posted the pic of is also the gun I use in any compatition a do. In the Run n Gun it gets nasty dirty and beat on. Still goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I don't think a little pocket lint is going to slow it down.
I know that pistol is gonna go bang when I squeeze the trigger, I bet my life to it every time I carry it. My biggest concern is not if its gonna go bang but if it's actually gonna hit what I'm pointing it at....
That's a completely different story and I aint making no promises on that one! :saywhat:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey dennishoddy, could you go into a little more detail on that 10 gal bucket? Ive been thinking about putting together a discharge barrel and trying to gather info on successful designs.

The drum looks to me that it was used for a grease container. It has the lid with a single bung and the fingers around the rim that lock the lid to the rim.
He has about 7 gallons of fine sand in the bottom, and loose rags piled up on top of the sand so when he discharges into it, sand won't blow back up into the gun, and it helps deaden the report.
When he is done, he puts the bung plug back in it to smother any possible smoldering fire in the rags.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My last shop that I built had a piece of 6 inch wide PVC pipe 4 feet long that I put in the concrete flush with the floor, it was for test firing weapons that I worked on. Worked perfect.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was gonna say, a large diameter pvc pipe with an end cap on it works fine too. Fill with play sand and be sure you're aimed rather in line with the center of the pipe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom