Where I have been

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No pictures of the trains at Durango and Silverton? For shame....

....we spent two weeks in a 26-foot fifth wheel at Sportsman's Campground, which is about 18 miles northwest of Pagosa Springs in 2009. That was our base of operations for a number of small hikes (we're in our '60's and overweight) and trips to Durango for the train ride, seeing waterfalls, and going to Mesa Verde.

That is a great area.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

....we spent two weeks in a 26-foot fifth wheel at Sportsman's Campground, which is about 18 miles northwest of Pagosa Springs in 2009. That was our base of operations for a number of small hikes (we're in our '60's and overweight) and trips to Durango for the train ride, seeing waterfalls, and going to Mesa Verde.

That is a great area.

I see you found it! Stop ragging on the man ... he was on vacation!! No stress, ya know ..
:P

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

That is a great area.

When my wife's parents retired, they bought a truck and a fifth wheel. They stayed just a few miles North of Durango from May throught September......roughing it, lol.
They spent a lot of time in Ouray, Ridgeway and Pagosa...........some in Silverton but pretty crowded due to the train. They did that for 8 or 9 years.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see you found it! Stop ragging on the man ... he was on vacation!! No stress, ya know ..
:P

BB,

I didn't mean to "rag" on the man. I guess I've just been fortunate enough when we were in the Durango/Silverton area to have seen at least one of the trains. After thinking of it, I suspect the schedules are just far enough apart that a lot of folks don't have the same opportunity.

However, since I grew up in Cimarron County, I know Black Mesa pretty well, and we've been up on Capulin Mountain a few times as well. Lake Etling isn't too far from Black Mesa, but it's likely they didn't get out that way. I remember when that area was just the river, before they put the dam in place. Not a great or big lake, but I've spent many a weekend there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The beauty of getting on the Silverton/Durango train is that all you have to do is tell the engineer where you want let off. They will stop the train and let you and your luggage/camping/fishing gear off.

Stay as long as you like in the back country, and flag the train down like a cab when your ready to leave. Gets no better than that.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't there 3 or 4 trains in the morning, and then they come back through in the afternoon? My in laws stayed just across the highway from the narrow gauge tracks, seemed like one was coming through fairly often when we would go out to visit them.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB,

I didn't mean to "rag" on the man. I guess I've just been fortunate enough when we were in the Durango/Silverton area to have seen at least one of the trains. After thinking of it, I suspect the schedules are just far enough apart that a lot of folks don't have the same opportunity.

However, since I grew up in Cimarron County, I know Black Mesa pretty well, and we've been up on Capulin Mountain a few times as well. Lake Etling isn't too far from Black Mesa, but it's likely they didn't get out that way. I remember when that area was just the river, before they put the dam in place. Not a great or big lake, but I've spent many a weekend there.

:P After seeing you pics, I can't wait to come visit. Don't see me taking a train ride because of my neck but still ... I can see where someone could spend their entire vacation looking through a camera ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom