Where the Hell is our president?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, since this thread seems to have changed course from Libya to Japan, I'll answer on Japan.

Radiation release levels peaked at 400 mSv/hr, and the sustained release levels are less than 9 mSv/hr (sources: Xinhua and NPR; NPR, that old liberal bastion, is *not* in favor of nukes). Radiation sickness occurs at exposures of 1-2 Sv. In other words, if somebody sucked on the tailpipe of the reactor for four hours, he'd get...sick. Not die, just get sick. And remember, that's peak levels, not sustained levels.

Pop quiz: if somebody sucked on the tailpipe of your car for four hours, would get A) sick, or B) dead?

I thought so.

As to the jet stream, yes, the winds blow from Japan to the US. Blowing winds aren't like collecting a balloon of contaminated air, transporting it over, and popping it, though--the contamination is greatly diluted as air is mixed in, spread out, and otherwise shuffled about. You really want to know about the dangers of radioactive release in Japan? I'd give my left arm to be able to express things as clearly as Tam:

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2011/03/dear-news-media.html

(BTW, the correct number appears to be 1021 nuclear bombs detonated in Nevada, 100 of which were above-ground).

So, let's compare those 100 nuclear bombs to a couple of leaking reactors. Any takers?

Peak levels? Peak levels of what? The situation isn't anywhere near under control, levels could get much higher, right?

And why has the US carrier moved so far away if this is all just trumped up and there's nothing to worry about. Ahh, a little radiation ain't gonna hurt nothin. At least according to what you've posted. Seems there's a LOT of data that contradicts your information.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Well, since this thread seems to have changed course from Libya to Japan, I'll answer on Japan.

Radiation release levels peaked at 400 mSv/hr, and the sustained release levels are less than 9 mSv/hr (sources: Xinhua and NPR; NPR, that old liberal bastion, is *not* in favor of nukes). Radiation sickness occurs at exposures of 1-2 Sv. In other words, if somebody sucked on the tailpipe of the reactor for four hours, he'd get...sick. Not die, just get sick. And remember, that's peak levels, not sustained levels.

Pop quiz: if somebody sucked on the tailpipe of your car for four hours, would get A) sick, or B) dead?

I thought so.

As to the jet stream, yes, the winds blow from Japan to the US. Blowing winds aren't like collecting a balloon of contaminated air, transporting it over, and popping it, though--the contamination is greatly diluted as air is mixed in, spread out, and otherwise shuffled about. You really want to know about the dangers of radioactive release in Japan? I'd give my left arm to be able to express things as clearly as Tam:

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2011/03/dear-news-media.html

(BTW, the correct number appears to be 1021 nuclear bombs detonated in Nevada, 100 of which were above-ground).

So, let's compare those 100 nuclear bombs to a couple of leaking reactors. Any takers?

wOOt. Thank you.

but... but... my geiger counter is clicking faster today (behind the microwave I'm using to heat up my tin foil hat with) than it was yesterday!

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why should he say anything? A lot of people are worried for no reason. It'll all work itself out in the end with our without Obama saying anything or the US helping either of Libya or Japan.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consumers have basic needs and its very hard to find a place now days that sells these basic items other than Wal Mart.

"Cheap china made crap" is spot on. We're moving backwards. Back in the day you'd buy something and it would last forever. Nowadays you're lucky if the china made crap you buy, because there's no reasonable alternative, lasts a month after the warranty expires.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe those fools buying up all the iodine tablets will take the whole bottle and do us all a favor. Those people receive more radiation from their cell phone than they will receive from the japanese nuke reactor.

Its not just the nukes set off in NV, don’t forget all the nukes we set off in the pacific during the same time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom