Where the Hell is our president?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Everything I've seen so far shows no changes in radiation here in the U.S. In fact, when Chernobyl totally melted down and exploded, scattering the entire contents, changes in the radiation levels here in the
U.S. were barely noticeable. The jet stream is there, for sure, but the radioactive nuclides are not air, they are heavy particles. Heavy levels of radiation could cause elemental transmutation of the particles in and around the reactor, as well as the air around the reactor, which could be carried by the jet-stream. If we see any radiation, it will most likely be later this evening. The EPA is also setting up many more monitors along the west coast as well as Guam, Hawaii, and Alaska. I'm just wary of Fred in his basement with a cold war era Geiger counter who suddenly hears it click "slightly faster than it did last night" and posts on the internet that the Japanese radiation is here.

I've read that one micro-gram of plutonium will (not can) kill a human. And it seems there's plutonium be scattered about all over the place over there. There's not only radiation factor but the contamination factor that could linger on for I dunno how long???

And your skepticism of Fred in his basement summarizes my skepticism that we'd get any form of the truth regarding this mess from government or the MSM.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice call, ignerntbend; looks like our heroes in D.C. are chomping at the bit to let our "Department of Defense" go on the offense again:

The United States is suggesting that the United Nations should do more than just impose a no-fly zone on Libya as Moammar Gadhafi's forces fight their way east toward the rebel capital of Benghazi.

and....

The U.S. ambassador to the U.N. raised the possibility of "going beyond a no-fly zone," Wednesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03/17/libya.civil.war/index.html?hpt=T2#

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read that one micro-gram of plutonium will (not can) kill a human. And it seems there's plutonium be scattered about all over the place over there. There's not only radiation factor but the contamination factor that could linger on for I dunno how long???

And your skepticism of Fred in his basement summarizes my skepticism that we'd get any form of the truth regarding this mess from government or the MSM.

Got your iodine pills yet?

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's playing the part of a clueless idiot. Again. It has become his modus operandi.

Maybe his current behavior will give him cause to apologize to the world for America. Again

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I thought the Fresh Prince would at least take some interested in the budget. The world will always have problems. Let's take care of ourselves now, and just maybe we will be able to help others later.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, since this thread seems to have changed course from Libya to Japan, I'll answer on Japan.

Radiation release levels peaked at 400 mSv/hr, and the sustained release levels are less than 9 mSv/hr (sources: Xinhua and NPR; NPR, that old liberal bastion, is *not* in favor of nukes). Radiation sickness occurs at exposures of 1-2 Sv. In other words, if somebody sucked on the tailpipe of the reactor for four hours, he'd get...sick. Not die, just get sick. And remember, that's peak levels, not sustained levels.

Pop quiz: if somebody sucked on the tailpipe of your car for four hours, would get A) sick, or B) dead?

I thought so.

As to the jet stream, yes, the winds blow from Japan to the US. Blowing winds aren't like collecting a balloon of contaminated air, transporting it over, and popping it, though--the contamination is greatly diluted as air is mixed in, spread out, and otherwise shuffled about. You really want to know about the dangers of radioactive release in Japan? I'd give my left arm to be able to express things as clearly as Tam:

Dear news media:
Remember back in '50s and early '60s, when we set off something like 900 atomic bombs in Nevada? And how we just let the fallout blow wherever and it landed all over the eastern US? And how it wiped out life as we know it and all that was left from Colorado to the Atlantic were six-legged rats battling two-headed cockroaches in the glowing ruins?

Yeah. Exactly. So shut up with the panic already.

(And Lester Holt of Today? Stop being such a big girl's blouse.)
http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2011/03/dear-news-media.html

(BTW, the correct number appears to be 1021 nuclear bombs detonated in Nevada, 100 of which were above-ground).

So, let's compare those 100 nuclear bombs to a couple of leaking reactors. Any takers?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How's that Wal-Mart's fault?

(See: AMERICAN CONSUMER)

I thought you had a lot of work to do...lol
I didn't mean to point a finger at anyone, i was just giving a "for instance". Wal Mart is not at fault exactly. They did however take advantage of the blindfolded consumer with low prices and cheap china made crap. In turn they swallowed up all the local ma nad pa stores (remember TG&Y) creating a basic monopoly. Consumers have basic needs and its very hard to find a place now days that sells these basic items other than Wal Mart.
Yes the consumer is at fault too for being blind to what was happening. I don't shop at wal mart and will drive 20 miles to a different store if I have to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom