where to put weapon after having a drink?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This question was asked when i had my taken my CCL class. From what our instructor told us , believe he's tulsa PD or State trooper if i remember right. He was saying that any consumption of an alcoholic beverage was illegal while carrying because no matter what your body is affected by said substance. Now for me if were going out to dinner i'll just drink tea or whatever. Finally kicked the habit completely just because i want to get in better shape but in reality if you think you may have a glass of wine or a beer with your dinner just leave the weapon at home and take some other means self defense with ya like a knife, spray, taser, even a flashlight, or whatever to at least not leave you defenseless but you still have some options if something happens.

hope this helps But i think you did alright considering the situation so kudos for keeping your mind right and making a responsible decision after the fact.

neverjeg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is not against SDA for Joe Citizen to have a drink while CC, but there is this...

CARRYING WEAPONS UNDER INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols
in any circumstances while under the influence of beer, intoxicating liquors or
any hallucinogenic, or any unlawful or unprescribed drug, and it shall be
unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols when under the influence of any drug prescribed by a licensed physician if the after effects of such consumption affect mental, emotional or physical processes to a degree that would result in abnormal behavior. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15of this title.

Now, define UNDER INFLUENCE.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is not against SDA for Joe Citizen to have a drink while CC, but there is this...

CARRYING WEAPONS UNDER INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols
in any circumstances while under the influence of beer, intoxicating liquors or
any hallucinogenic, or any unlawful or unprescribed drug, and it shall be
unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols when under the influence of any drug prescribed by a licensed physician if the after effects of such consumption affect mental, emotional or physical processes to a degree that would result in abnormal behavior. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15of this title.

Now, define UNDER INFLUENCE.

That is the one I was thinking of, that goes for transporting a firearm also, not just "carrying" one. Under Influence is too subjective for me, I will either leave the firearms at home, or not partake in the drinking.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in this situation before. Went to work and I always leave in in the car. Well on a Friday co-workers all went out to drink so I was invited and so I drank a couple of beers. I just put my gun in the glove compartment not on my person. So I do have a question. Can i park in a bar parking lot with my gun in the car? I have another situation and question.

My brother and I went out to a bar, so I left my gun at home. I did however bring a knife. After the bar closed 7 guys started **** with my brother and I, so 2 vs 7. So I tried to walk away i tried to ignore but finally 3 guys got in front of me and pushed me. One guy talked about head butting me breaking my nose, so at this point I knew something was going to happen. So I waited, he tried and I pulled my knife on him and said I would take out 2 of you guys before you get me. At that point the confrontation ceased. So hypothetically if it was 7 vs 2 and i got to my car and I had my gun, being under the influence what would happen if I pulled it out on them? or shot them?

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I waited, he tried and I pulled my knife on him and said I would take out 2 of you guys before you get me. At that point the confrontation ceased.

Why not contact the authorities when you were threatened? Once you got on the horn they probably would have headed out of there.

You know the consequences when consuming alcohol and being in that environment, people tend to think they are bigger than they really are. Like it or not you put yourself in that situation, pulling a knife on someone could have made things a lot worse.

So hypothetically if it was 7 vs 2 and i got to my car and I had my gun, being under the influence what would happen if I pulled it out on them?

Nothing good would come of this. You probably would have been arrested for brandishing a firearm at least.

If you got to your car, why not stay in it and call the police?

or shot them?

Result would be worse than just brandishing a firearm.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not contact the authorities when you were threatened?

the bar closed, everyone was walking out and these guys had nothing better to do. We were not at our car, we were not even close to the car. It was un-provoked, and we tried to avoid the situation. If I would have pulled my phone out i feel as if I was going to be in a worse situation. Not to sound pompous but I am confident in my skills due to Army training or I would have not pulled out the knife. Besides, 7 of them vs 2 we didnt have a chance so I was going to go down and bring a few with me.

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't a vehicle considered a dwelling? If so then some of the the same rules apply as they do to your home.

In your home you can drink all you can stand as long as you stay inside and you can have a loaded weapon in there too just so long as you don't use it. Now a vehicle is a bit different in that you cannot be behind the wheel and swillin' gin. Whereas at home you can pilot your couch and knock back a few without problems.

Transporting is not the same as carrying. Lock it in a case inside the trunk or glove compartment and lock the ammo up elsewhere. Don't drink so much you would blow over the limit in the first place (hard not to do when they are serving Chimay Grand Reserve or some other hearty Abbey Ale). Save getting ripped for home or where you know you ain't going anywhere.

Best advice as stated is to avoid drinking while out anyway if you are going to have any weapon designed to be used as deadly force near you including a knife. We really need a LEO to weigh in on this issue.

Gbart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for all the tips guys seems this is an unclear answer. I hope it never happens again and if i think theres even a chance i will have even 1 beer then i wont be carrying i just didnt have time to go home and drop it off and had to make the reservation it was about the only one left that night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom