Where to start training?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to take some training in the near future and was wondering where i should go. Has anyone taken the intro to handgun marksmanship 251 class at USSA? If so, what did you think? It looks like a prerequisite for their higher classes they offer. I've also heard good things about the defensive pistol class at Guardian Shooting Solutions? Just wondering about anybody's experiences or suggestions.

Last edited:

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
USSA and TDSA both provide excellent training opportunities locally.

Billy Smith teaches classes down at Old Fort Gun Club in Fort Smith and he provides excellent instruction, as well.

There are a variety of options for starting out on each platform (pistol, rifle, etc.). You can take a basic class on each from one place and seek further, more advanced training for others; you can take a couple of basic classes from different instructors/facilities on each platform; you can also go through the basic paces with one school then double back on them with another school. You are probably (if you're like most people) primarily limited by your tuition, ammunition, and time budgets. If that's the case, find the best value nearest to you that works with your schedule, and at least get started. With that said, don't hesitate to walk away from a place if you feel like you're not getting your money's worth. Talk it out with them first and give them a chance to keep your business (your dissatisfaction could be due to unrealistic expectations, after all) but these are your dollars and potentially your life at stake. If you go with the folks who've been at it for a while their reputations will precede them. You'll also find out who the folks with the real-word experience are.

The best thing starting out is to do just what you're doing: Ask around, read up, and then ask some more. There will be plenty of reviews and opinions available. The wheat gets separated from the chaff fairly quickly in that line of work.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guardian Shooting Solutions was formerly known as CarryLegal.com, and they're frequenters on the board. I know several of the guys out there and they're all awesome. They're also affiliated with TDSA, at least loosely (or use to be).

I've trained with them and TDSA, both of which have great instructors and curriculum. I have a friends who has trained at USSA and loved it as well.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I took my CCL class at Carry Legal/Guardian and really liked the guys there. Real down to earth and knew their stuff. They're on the short list.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would personally go with TDSA. I've gone through their AP1 course numerous times, not because I needed to, but because I wanted to. I used Marshall and his crew to solidify my fundamentals before I became a CLEET firearms instructor. Marshall tells it as it is! His crew is top notch and very friendly. They do not act like they are above you and will demonstrate and mess up in front of you! The student to instructor ratio is very good and they will help you as much as you need it. Marshall also has a money back guarantee, something you can't beat!

Latest posts

Top Bottom