Which 9mm for me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you say cheap and plentiful ammo that leads me to believe you're going to do a heavy amount of shooting with it. If this is true you'd be a fool not to get a service gun (IE: Glock/M&P/XD/CZ/SIG). If this is not true then a smaller/cheaper gun would be appropriate. I'd say you need a Glock 19. If your budget is $400, scrounge/save up an extra $50 and find a used one.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you say cheap and plentiful ammo that leads me to believe you're going to do a heavy amount of shooting with it.

AHA! You are basically correct. I have never had any FORMAL instruction with a handgun, and I want to correct that. I am a reloader, a scrounger, and pretty much an all-around cheap ba$turd. Thus, I don't want to take a bunch of classes and walk away leaving a bunch of .40 or .45 brass laying behind. If I'm going to burn a bunch of ammo to further my proficiency, I would just as soon it be with cheaper 9mm, as long as I can do it with a reliable sidearm. That is the primary issue. The other is, getting the wife and daughter back into shooting. Again, a 9mm would be as economical as anything going, and have less recoil than the .40's or .45's. If they really get interested in geting back to shooting (both have shot before), I would certainly be comfortable with them carrying 9's. If they do NOT choose to stick with it, I have no problem with maintaining a 9 as a backup for me personally.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the Ruger P95. I was also considering it.

been ... awkward to hold comfortably ... how so? i.e. are the grips generally too large for most female shooters?

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the Ruger P95. I was also considering it.

been ... awkward to hold comfortably ... how so? i.e. are the grips generally too large for most female shooters?

You callin me a woman!!! Its not the size of it. It is just hard for me to grip without my hand wanting to slip away from it. I have not had this problem with ANY other pistol in my life. i just remembered that it was an 89 not 95. My mistake.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tons of possibilities in the used market, a few good choices new. The most commonly used handguns by military/paramilitary groups world wide are the Browning Hi-Power and the Glock 17/19. Any of these would work well.
M&P, XD, CZ (and variants) in a full to mid-size would be a good choice. I have big hands but short fingers and find the Ruger P-series clunky and uncomfortable and very few women in any of my classes like the se guns, same for the Beretta and Taurus (M9/M92/etc).
The KelTec, Diamondback, Kahr, and little Ruger are too small for extended shooting and marksmanship development.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You callin me a woman!!! Its not the size of it. It is just hard for me to grip without my hand wanting to slip away from it. I have not had this problem with ANY other pistol in my life. i just remembered that it was an 89 not 95. My mistake.

LOL! Not at all. You guys have got me doin' a lot of copying and pasting to follow up on, and I should be in bed!

Latest posts

Top Bottom