Which AR-15 Lower is Better - lots of brands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
An AR pistol is not an NFA weapon.

True. Last time I purchased an AR lower through an FFL, they didn't have the "other" option, and some receivers were considered "rifles" from the factory. What I don't know is if that is true now (if it ever was), or if all receivers can be transferred initially for use as a pistol.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Receivers transfer as an other firearm from an ffl. The second you place a rifle stock buffer tube on it it then becomes a rifle and cannot ever be a pistol unless you stamp it and make it a SBR, the second you place a pistol receiver tube on it it then becomes a pistol and can not be reconfigured as a rifle unless you nfa stamp it and make it a SBR rifle.

A title 2 firearm can be returned to it's previous title 1 configuration without notifying the NFA branch.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The second you place a rifle stock buffer tube on it it then becomes a rifle and cannot ever be a pistol unless you stamp it and make it a SBR, the second you place a pistol receiver tube on it it then becomes a pistol and can not be reconfigured as a rifle unless you nfa stamp it and make it a SBR rifle. .

I disagree

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm
regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by
26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or reassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a
barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle
does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown
condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same
weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA
has been made.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Noveske if you want to be Gucci. If not Sierra 1 Gunworks in OKC has stripped lowers for about a C note. Or palmetto, spikes etc. Basically any in spec milspec lower.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Noveske if you want to be Gucci. If not Sierra 1 Gunworks in OKC has stripped lowers for about a C note. Or palmetto, spikes etc. Basically any in spec milspec lower.

Not trying to be nit-picky, but there is no such thing as a milspec semi-auto receiver. The term "milspec" is tossed around by many manufacturers, but the only companies that make true milspec lowers in accordance with the technical data package is Colt and FN (also H&R and GM Hydramatic during the VN era). A company called Balimoy also made replacement lower receivers for the military. Here are some pics of one:

img.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_BalimoyFront.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_BalimoyRear.jpg

Here is a pic of an old GM Hydramatic A1 (since converted to an A2) that was issued to one of my students recently:

img.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_GMA2A1.jpg

Last edited:

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not nit picky at all. You caught me, as I intended to put milspec in quotations marks. I do know the difference, have seen and shot select fire M4 style carbines. I just had a brain fart and left off the quotations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom