Which Judge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't kid yourselves;
Don't use a gun to replace the fundamentals of handgun shooting.
Watermelons don't rob people of their money , although Taurus does.

This!!!! If you really want to get her something for the home, and all she's interested in is a handgun get her a S&W model 10/15/64 load it up with 158grSWCHP+P an take her to the range to practice.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before diving into the Judge pool, take a look at The Box o Truth tests of the .410 SD ammo.

Don't get wrong, I would not want to play catch the bullet with a .410. I just think there are better things out there.

On the other hand, one ammo company is now loading .410 with a 1oz slug. That should be a stopper. Lots of deer have dropped when hit with a 12 gauge 1oz slug. Federal maybe??, really can't remember.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before diving into the Judge pool, take a look at The Box o Truth tests of the .410 SD ammo.

Don't get wrong, I would not want to play catch the bullet with a .410. I just think there are better things out there.

On the other hand, one ammo company is now loading .410 with a 1oz slug. That should be a stopper. Lots of deer have dropped when hit with a 12 gauge 1oz slug. Federal maybe??, really can't remember.

So a 1oz slug is 437.5 grains, basically a 437.gr 45LC!!!
How would that be for a "new" shooter?? I would not want to shoot it!!
I'd take a "punny" 9mm any day!!!!

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please get her a 4" heavy barrel Smith DAO, 38. This gun can be had for 300 bucks or less and in used but good shape. Put some grips that fit her and some light ammo to start with. If she's not a shooter its simple and reliable and easy to train on, if she is a shooter and likes it, the 38 is still a great platform to start out with.

cayton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read (not experienced) that it has shallow rifling to accommodate the .410 shells, which makes it not very good at either one. I'm in the 'buy something else camp', but my dad can't stop talking about these, so maybe I'm the crazy one!

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please get her a 4" heavy barrel Smith DAO, 38. This gun can be had for 300 bucks or less and in used but good shape. Put some grips that fit her and some light ammo to start with. If she's not a shooter its simple and reliable and easy to train on, if she is a shooter and likes it, the 38 is still a great platform to start out with.

My thoughts also. Get her a used .38, and take her to the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom