Which Judge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been some reports/articles that claim the .410 loads don't have enough penetration to be very effective. The .45 Colt, of course, is a pretty potent round. That's probably the reason.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on loading it with one of the new buckshot SD rounds. From my understanding, they are very effective at short ranges. She isnt 21, so cant carry, this would be for apartment use only. With the shotshells, I dont have to worry about over penetration, and have to worry less about her accuracy. At any distance in her apartment, it should still be effective.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before you do, you might want to read the review in Swat Magazine The September 2010 issue of SWAT magazine has an article on the Judge by Tom Givens of Range-masters in Memphis TN. He is a certified firearms instructor for the FBI and the state of Tennessee. His conclusions after testing the Taurus Judge, including with bird shot, buckshot, and slugs as well as .45 Colt loads:

"The verdict?
I can't find anything the Judge does well that a standard handgun won't do better. At room ranges (5 to 7 yards) the buckshot pattern is so small that it must be aimed precisely, just like a handgun bullet, so there is no advantage there. Beyond that distance, danger to bystanders is simply too great to even consider using the gun. With bird shot, the Judge is essentially useless. With .45 ammo, it is a large, ungainly piece with poor accuracy.

As part of the testing he fired bird shot at 15 feet into a plastic water bottle and the few pellets that hit is simply bounced off, Also, a .410 slug load in the Judge launches a 90 grain projectile at less than 1,000 fps. In other words, it has the ballistics of a .380 ACP in a gun bigger and heaver than many .44 magnums. You don't need much more info than that to know that the Judge is a bad idea for a defensive gun, but Taurus is making a ton of money off of it.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were to get one, I would have to pay for a Tax Stamp in order to have it made into a smooth-bore pistol/SBS. Even then I still doubt that would improve the performance of shot shells by much, and it would more than likely make the 45 colt useless.

IMHO, since it will not be a carry gun, you would be better off with a 357 or 38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel, better yet a 20 or 12 gauge with number one(if you can find it) or 00 buckshot. Even then you must get her to the range to practice and teach her that safety and shot placement, are number one.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The judge is perfectly effective as a truck/car gun. .410 birdshot to the face or neck is nothing to sneeze at.

But you are correct that the it's effectiveness drops as a HD weapon. I would never use one in the that role. Especially in the winter when a thief/assailant will be wearing heavy clothing and jackets.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't kid yourselves;
Don't use a gun to replace the fundamentals of handgun shooting.
Watermelons don't rob people of their money , although Taurus does.

Latest posts

Top Bottom