Which pistol for the mrs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with a friend in Phoenix to Cabella's so she could handle a couple pistols. She was unable to rack the slide on the smaller ones (shield, lc9) but was able to on the M&P9c. It seems like some of the smaller pistols have heftier springs in them than others so may want to make sure that she can reliable chamber a round as well without struggling.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd ask what her level of training and competency is.

For a newb who isn't going to dedicate themselves to firing, reloading, and malfunction drills I'd say get a revolver. Simpler manual of arms.

If she's competent and trained on an auto then I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you that if my wife had shot the PF9 I used to own, she would have immediately set it down and not looked back. It's just not a comfortable gun to shoot, IMO.

I don't remember her loving my P938 either, but I did. I only sold it in an effort to consolidate a bit. Kind of wish I didn't.

As for my Shield, she hasn't shot it yet, but I think she'd comfortable with it.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has she actually shot any of the guns on your list? If not, go somewhere you can rent and try them. Small autos appeal to some people because they are light and compact and usually fit smaller hands. Holding it and shooting it are two different things, some of those might be a handful to shoot. If she isn't comfortable with it, she won't shoot it and won't be confident carrying it.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife carries p238 Equinox, what an awesome little gun. I steal it when she is at home, a lot for easier to carry than my 1911 9mm Commander.

As for 9mm 1911s being bad, I would say it depends on the operator. I have 2, Dan Wesson and a Kimber. I love the way they both feel and shoot and have never had a hiccup. My wife goes to shoot my DW and has ejection issues every time. It has to do with her not controlling the recoil I assume since back to back I can't repeat the FTE. Some might think that makes it a bad firearm but I still love it. Factory mags suck, hold open doesn't catch. I use Wilsons anyway though.

Never an issue with the p238 or the 938, Sig does an awesome job with those little pistols. Definitely worth the extra money over a Shield, Bodyguard, XDs,43....

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4th generation G19. Everybody seems to think a sub compact suits a new or smaller shooter when the full size gun is going to be easier to shoot and manage recoil. The 4th gen glock with backstraps removed is pretty friendly to smaller shooters.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For size comparison, don't have my p938 here.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom