Which would be a better carry load?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before anybody types anything, let's PLEASE try to keep on track here. Let's try not to throw up the ol' "well...why in the hell do you want a .45 G.A.P. for anyways? What's it got that any other caliber ain't got?" question along with any and all GAP bashing, m'kay? ;)

As some of you may or may not know, I just recently ordered a Glock 37 in OD green, brand new in the box, from Bud's for $379 SHIPPED. :naughty:

Over the weekend, I picked up five 50 round boxes of Speer Lawman 200gr shoot 'em up ammo (yes, 250 rounds) for $17 a box. :w000t: Needless to say, I bought it all...$85 OTD. :woohoo1:

Now I need to decide what carry ammo I am gonna feed this thing. :rubhands:

I have my heart set on two different loads, but I can't decide if I want slower and heavier or lighter and faster. :scratch:

The two loads in question are...

The Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok. This load is a heavy hitter and a classic mainstay for many shooters. At 880fps from the muzzle and 395 foot pounds of energy, it looks like a winner.

However...

The Winchester 185gr Silvertip is an impressive little round as well. It brings to the table a whopping 1000fps from the muzzle along with a hard hitting 427 foot pounds of energy.

So. I'm kinda leaning towards the Silvertips.

What say you? :tounge2:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which one gives you the better performance?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they will both perform (function) perfectly and flawlessly in the gun. I'll have to put a few rounds of each thru it to be sure.

But that's not a big concern. I mean...it's a Glock! :ugh2:

But yeah, I see what you are saying too.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Silvertips. If nothing else, just for the 1000fps. :naughty:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too am in the small family of Glock 37 owners.

For two legged critter control, I'd go with the 230 grain.

For fun shooting, I'm loading a 200 grain LSWC with 5.0 grains of WW231. Don't know it you know it yet or not, but .45 GAP can be loaded with .45 ACP dies. All you have to do is adjust the seating die and the crimp die. It uses small pistol primers.

If you intend on carrying in a holster, you'll have to get one that also fits a Glock 21. The magazines will fit in Glock-17 pouches.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too am in the small family of Glock 37 owners.

For two legged critter control, I'd go with the 230 grain.

If you intend on carrying in a holster, you'll have to get one that also fits a Glock 21. The magazines will fit in Glock-17 pouches.

Yeah, I've already got my leather in the mail.

A Galco "Fletch" OWB holster and a Galco "MCP" (Mag/Cuff/Paddle) pouch.

I was gonna go with Kydex, but I discovered that A) the G21 and G37 DO NOT fit the same Kydex holster and B) nobody makes a Kydex holster for the G37. :grumble:

Oh well...no worries. I prefer leather anyway. :D

Tell me why you prefer the heavier and slower load over the lighter and faster?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GED, I'd go with the 230 hydrashocks. I'm a fan of big heavy slugs for SD. I'll take penetration over expansion everytime. Plus heavy bullets shoot "softer".

Edit to add: Remember you are already shooting a .45 caliber slug. So when that hydrashock expands however much it does, you will have that....

AND

you get the added weight for penetration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom