So TSA found a loaded mag in my carry on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sometimes forget and leave my small knife in my pocket. I just put it in the carry-on bag so it doesn't go thru the metal detector. So far the x-ray operators have not noticed and it sailed thru OK. I have had a couple of knives confiscated when I forgot they were in my pocket and didn't have time to transfer it to my bag. That sucks, but luckily they were not valuable knives!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sometimes forget and leave my small knife in my pocket. I just put it in the carry-on bag so it doesn't go thru the metal detector. So far the x-ray operators have not noticed and it sailed thru OK. I have had a couple of knives confiscated when I forgot they were in my pocket and didn't have time to transfer it to my bag. That sucks, but luckily they were not valuable knives!

I've on a couple of occasions forgotten to take of my belt or boots...

I traveled once with several 4" screws and a 12" length of 1/2" all thread that I didn't realize was in my carry-on. TSA never said a thing at either airport.

It's all theater.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I travel to one location frequently to do work on equipment and I always travel with a bag of screws and nuts and bolts and such. They look harder at part of a respiratory device than they do anything else. I even had a screwdriver in my bag for months, didn't even know it was there, and it passed through without a problem. I've been fortunate I've not missed a knife or something. I'm usually pretty on point inspecting my bags I take through security.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I travel to one location frequently to do work on equipment and I always travel with a bag of screws and nuts and bolts and such. They look harder at part of a respiratory device than they do anything else. I even had a screwdriver in my bag for months, didn't even know it was there, and it passed through without a problem. I've been fortunate I've not missed a knife or something. I'm usually pretty on point inspecting my bags I take through security.

Screwdrivers (well, "tools" in general) under 7" are allowed. But a 1.5" pen knife isn't. Go figure... :anyone:

I got pulled out in Baton Rouge for "nitrates" because I'd toured the destroyer they have dry docked. That was... interesting.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like such a dumb-ass. Flying out of Wichita KS this morning and I had decided to take my Maxpedition gearslinger as a carry on. I haven't used this bag in over a year and thought I searched through it pretty good. Well as I'm going through the check point the lady working the x ray machine calls for a supervisor. He looks at the screen, looks at me and asks if I forgot something. After fondling the bag for a few mins he unzips the small compartment at the bottom of the shoulder strap, which I forgot was even there, and pulls out a loaded 1911 mag. My heart sank and I said oh ****. He smiled and said come with me. After 20 mins of questioning by the TSA and another round by the PD they got all my contact info copied my DL and my CCL and ran me for outstanding warrants they sent me on the way. Luckily I made my flight. Now just to see if I get "special treatment" on my return flight. I'm sure I'll be getting a nasty letter from the TSA and hopefully not a fine along with it. I will say the TSA agent and the officer were very cool about the situation and the cop even asked me a bunch of questions about the bag and said he was going to buy one after seeing mine. I'm just glad they found it it Wichita and not in Chicago where I had a lay over.

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. About 6 months later I got a letter from TSA/Dept of Homeland Security indicating I was absolved of any wrongdoing and no further action would be taken.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and my kiddo went out shooting one day....big fun with the "scaredy" guns...LOL So when done we picked up all the brass and piled it in the back of the truck.

Next day I get ready for another flight to DC and plop my luggage in the back of the truck right on top of that pile of brass. (prolly 600 rounds laying on a big towel in the bed of the truck) didn't think anything of it until the lights and buzzers started going off when they swabbed my bag........ : ) It was "interesting" for a bit.

Funny thing is....... now i get "special treatment" all the time...LMAO

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just glad they found it it Wichita and not in Chicago where I had a lay over.

True - I'd be hearing about you on the news for several days up here! And - you'd have a $25k bond set...that seems to be the standard for airport gun arrests! Oh wait, yours might be more - they reserve the $25k bonds for politicians!

Latest posts

Top Bottom