Which would be a better carry load?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

You might want to note what DocGKR says about Hydra-Shocks, Silvertips and Black Talons.

Well I know of this person from a few other forum's. Like the prez who can't talk without a telepromter, he is known as "Chart Man". Without his charts, graphs, and gel, he can't fight his way out of a paper-bag. Gel has its purpose, but its not the be-all to end-all of bullet performance.

I've been around for the autopsy's of four BG, and involved in one of those. All four were shot with Winchester Black Talons, two with 9MM, one .40SW, and one .45ACP. The BT's were all issue ammo, and performed as they were intended. Three of the BG's which were wearing cold weather clothing, both the 9MM and .45ACP. The .40SW was during spring. All four were multiple hits of two to three rounds. One bled out after two hits to the lower stomach region one round taking out the femoral artery, and the other striking the lower spine. The other three were DOA after upper chest shots, all striking into the upper lungs, aorta, and heart. One BG had hits that struck two ribs an looked like someone had set off a grenade in his chest from all the bone being turned into shrapnel.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would prefer the sectional density of the 230gr round. Same section, more density.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectional_density

f all other factors are equal, the projectile with the greatest amount of sectional density will penetrate the deepest.

There's more to it than that, but on the whole I will follow this logic. Not to mention I will go with Federal or Speer before Winchester - just my luck/experience with the ammo in general, specifically the primers.

Oh, congrats on the GAP. I'm too cheap to buy one myself, but I am a fan of the caliber and the design to get a .45 into a smaller form-factor pistol. That and it's a cool Glock novelty, let's be honest :D

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before anybody types anything, let's PLEASE try to keep on track here. Let's try not to throw up the ol' "well...why in the hell do you want a .45 G.A.P. for anyways? What's it got that any other caliber ain't got?" question along with any and all GAP bashing, m'kay? ;)

As some of you may or may not know, I just recently ordered a Glock 37 in OD green, brand new in the box, from Bud's for $379 SHIPPED. :naughty:

Over the weekend, I picked up five 50 round boxes of Speer Lawman 200gr shoot 'em up ammo (yes, 250 rounds) for $17 a box. :w000t: Needless to say, I bought it all...$85 OTD. :woohoo1:

Now I need to decide what carry ammo I am gonna feed this thing. :rubhands:

I have my heart set on two different loads, but I can't decide if I want slower and heavier or lighter and faster. :scratch:

The two loads in question are...

The Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok. This load is a heavy hitter and a classic mainstay for many shooters. At 880fps from the muzzle and 395 foot pounds of energy, it looks like a winner.

However...

The Winchester 185gr Silvertip is an impressive little round as well. It brings to the table a whopping 1000fps from the muzzle along with a hard hitting 427 foot pounds of energy.

So. I'm kinda leaning towards the Silvertips.

What say you? :tounge2:

I would go with the heavier slower hydra shoks --I know what they can do, The silver tips are fine as well, Why not run the Hydra shoks in the gun and a cLip of Silvertips as a back up in another clip. I would think though that function would be the deciding factor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom