Which would be a better carry load?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the reason to carry a 45 was to carry bigger, slower rounds. If you want something lighter and faster, why not carry a 40 or 357 sig? Gold dot 180 grain .40s fly at 1005 fps.... So the Winchester round is basicly a .40.
So if you bought a .45, carry a .45 round...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Get some of both, shoot them, see which one you feel the most comfortable with, and carry that one. It's a .45 caliber, and its not like the BG is gonna get up after being shot with it, and say which ever one he was shot with was not effective! Silvertips got alot of bad press after the FBI Miami shootout in the '80s when they actually did what they were supposed to do. The two BG's were just determined fighter's, and short of a shotgun slug or rifle round, they were not about to give up. Silvertip's have come along way since then, and even today with all the new wizbanghyperthermonuclearassstompinguberexpanding ammo out there the Silvertips are still getting the job done.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Id go with whichever you can sell in three weeks and not lose the most money..

:D

I was kind of thinking the same thing...

All the comedians out of work, and here you two are cracking jokes. :rolleyes2

I thought the reason to carry a 45 was to carry bigger, slower rounds. If you want something lighter and faster, why not carry a 40 or 357 sig? Gold dot 180 grain .40s fly at 1005 fps.... So the Winchester round is basicly a .40.
So if you bought a .45, carry a .45 round...

Because if you shoot a lighter, faster round (but not TOO fast!) you get more expansion. With a 180gr .40 S&W round, moving at 1000fps, you might get expansion to roughly 50 caliber +/- if everything works as planned.

With the 185gr .45 G.A.P. Silvertip, because of it's slightly softer construction, you should get expansion up to 55-60 caliber...maybe.

The heavier, slower slug (230gr Hydra-Shok) would more than likely only expand out to 50-55 caliber +/- I'm guessing.

Now I know this is merely splitting hairs, but if I was shooting hardball in both guns/calibers the .45 G.A.P. slug has already won. So there goes the "why not just a .40?" argument.

Get some of both, shoot them, see which one you feel the most comfortable with, and carry that one. It's a .45 caliber, and its not like the BG is gonna get up after being shot with it, and say which ever one he was shot with was not effective! Silvertips got alot of bad press after the FBI Miami shootout in the '80s when they actually did what they were supposed to do. The two BG's were just determined fighter's, and short of a shotgun slug or rifle round, they were not about to give up. Silvertip's have come along way since then, and even today with all the new wizbanghyperthermonuclearassstompinguberexpanding ammo out there the Silvertips are still getting the job done.

My thoughts exactly! :thumb:

In this world of "wizbanghyperthermonuclearassstompinguberexpanding" ammo, the Winchester Silvertip still stands strong as a true contender. Their slightly softer projectile seems to aid in rapid and true expansion a little more than the rest of the jacketed HPs out there.

BulkAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always preferred the lighter and faster load out of a .45. It addresses the the one weakness of the .45 round (if you consider a slower fps a weakness). It's hard to say which is really better since they are both solid performers. Can't say use the one that will function out of your firearm the best, since it's a Glock.

About the only real advice other than my above opinion is to get the cheaper of the 2. Price would be the only real advantage; since the performance will be similar.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because if you shoot a lighter, faster round (but not TOO fast!) you get more expansion. With a 180gr .40 S&W round, moving at 1000fps, you might get expansion to roughly 50 caliber +/- if everything works as planned.

With the 185gr .45 G.A.P. Silvertip, because of it's slightly softer construction, you should get expansion up to 55-60 caliber...maybe.

The heavier, slower slug (230gr Hydra-Shok) would more than likely only expand out to 50-55 caliber +/- I'm guessing.

Now I know this is merely splitting hairs, but if I was shooting hardball in both guns/calibers the .45 G.A.P. slug has already won. So there goes the "why not just a .40?" argument.
What does shooting hardball have to do with the price of tea in china? You aren't discussing FMJ rounds, you are talking about hollow points. I still stand by my statement that if you want to fire a 180-185 grain projectile at aroud 1000fps use a 40. Five 100's of an inch in fully expanded handgun projectiles is moot. Expansion is third to shot placement and penetration. Both will adequatey penetrate, so it's on you to make CNS hits for immediate incapacitation, or hit some timers. I think the advantage of a 45 is in it's bigger, slower projectiles. If you settle for .45 rounds that preform similarly to .40S&W rounds, you have gained nothing and given up mag capacity. Just IMHO

Latest posts

Top Bottom