Who else believes in doing this?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I do.

And like you say, even just being friendly makes a difference. Just generally being "nice" makes the people around you happier. I had two contrasting days recently. One day I was out out several different places running errands. Everyone I talked to was happy, joking around, and in a good mood. The next day everyone was a total ass and it brought me back to hating everyone. I'm sure they had been dealing with total asses and that's why they were acting that way. It's a cause-effect deal.

I'm not a people person, not a stranger person and not a small talk person...but I try hard not to be a bummer. Some people are bummers. At work I treat everyone with respect and make sure they know I appreciate them helping me/working with me on things, often when they don't have to. It goes both ways. The more accommodating you are to me, the more accommodating I'll be.

When I was building my house a lumber driver backed into my garage to offload my wood plank flooring. He cut the straps and part of the load had shifted and came proceeded to fall off, damaging the trim board on the garage opening and ripping a big gash in the insulation of my garage door (boards flipped up). I had been talking to the dude when he first pulled up and he was really friendly. He started freaking out "Oh man, the owner's gonna be pissed. I could get fired over this incident." He said something about another incident he'd had, something like losing a photo of a load he dropped (proof of delivery) and part of it being stolen IIRC. He was just kind of talking out loud to himself about some bad luck he'd been having.

He had been talking to me thinking I was just a worker. I said "Dude, I own this house and I'm the one building it. Don't worry about it, **** happens. I'll just sand and fill that trim board and get a new insulation panel. No big deal." He was super grateful. Gave me his boss' cell phone number in case I change my mind and wanted to report it. I never called.

I could have been all hardass about it, but why? That dude didn't need that, especially if he could lose his job over it. I went on to help him pick up each and every piece of the spilled flooring and stacked it in the garage while talking to him. Was a lot, probably took 2 hours. I can't believe they sent him alone. I fixed the trim board but left the ripped insulation panel and I think of that goofy dude every time I go to the garage. Hope his luck changed.

I'd hope someone would do the same for me if I was in his shoes.

Very cool. About 4 years ago, I had a guy come up to me in downtown Chicago... said he and his family were hungry and asked me for money. Instead of offering money (to be used for alcohol or drugs) I offered to buy him and his family dinner. He was so thankful... asked if he could get his family. I said sure. I left for a couple of minutes and came back around the the corner with his wife and 5 little kiddos. We went to a Boston Market and had a nice meal. I sat there and ate dinner with them. They were just a normal family that had fallen on desperate times. It was a pretty cool... even life changing experience for me. I'll never forget it... and all those hungry kiddos coming out of nowhere. :-)

That's awesome.

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i always wear a smile because i believe that it is contagious. if i have a positive attitude it seems that everyone else around me has one as well.

i love to help people. now with that said, there are some people that really need help and then there are people that just need to help themselves. Sometimes being too kind to people makes them expect it.

lately i been going through a situation with one of my highschool friends. his wife will call my wife and ask for gas money, diapers, etc.... Being the kind hearted people we are we dont say no. It just pisses me off everytime i get on face book and they are always talking about how they were partying and getting drunk EVERY weekend (not to mention leaving their kids with random people). They have money to spend on alcohol and go clubbing but they have no money for food or diapers???

End of rant.......................... sorry to bore you guys.

jimeradams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool. About 4 years ago, I had a guy come up to me in downtown Chicago... said he and his family were hungry and asked me for money. Instead of offering money (to be used for alcohol or drugs) I offered to buy him and his family dinner. He was so thankful... asked if he could get his family. I said sure. I left for a couple of minutes and came back around the the corner with his wife and 5 little kiddos. We went to a Boston Market and had a nice meal. I sat there and ate dinner with them. They were just a normal family that had fallen on desperate times. It was a pretty cool... even life changing experience for me. I'll never forget it... and all those hungry kiddos coming out of nowhere. :-)

At a church we used to attend, I was on a commitee that considered requests for assistance from folks who would come by and ask for a little help. It was very cool to provide help to folks who really needed and appreciated it. It was an awesome experience!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to and even the wife has gotten used to my bad jokes when trying to get someone to smile.

Of course this is only after I have had time to get fully awake and had some caffeine. When I first wake up I have been compared to a ticked off grizzly. :D

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Like J.P. it could even make the difference between life and death!

Yeah, but I'll just give 'em the money....

:D

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You're a good man [or woman].

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I try not to brag about myself but we do have some very giving members on this forum that have personally affected my life.
For instance,
Tulsa hunter(Michael) gave a like new bike to a kid that he didn't even know. Long story.
Longrangepistol offered legal advice to my family for free.
Members here put together the Christmas donations last year.
Surjimmy And other members of this forumhelped his wifes coworkers husband with a lift.
Trickormate gives a lot of his time to a ministry for people in need.
We have many very generous, kind, and uplifting people on this forum.
That is just a few that I know of.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a people person, not a stranger person and not a small talk person...but I try hard not to be a bummer. Some people are bummers. At work I treat everyone with respect and make sure they know I appreciate them helping me/working with me on things, often when they don't have to. It goes both ways. The more accommodating you are to me, the more accommodating I'll be.
You and I are much the same in this regard.

Since I am in the restaurant business I get to witness people anonymously paying for other people's food all the time. More often than not, people do it for military folks in uniform. However, the other day, two young attractive girls bought the meal of some 40+ guy sitting at the counter by himself. The guy didn't look down on his luck or anything. I'm sure he had plenty of money to pay. When we told him his meal was taken care of by two young women, he just couldn't believe it. It obviously made his day and consequently made our day too. It just goes to show that the random acts of kindness often have a positive impact on others besides the intended recipient.

I have to admit that I'm not a big random acts of kindness guy. I have about 150 employees and somebody needs something all the time. Whenever someone steals from me, someone else will inevitably say, "Why didn't they just ask? He would have given it to them." I do everything I can to help because most of my employees are decent hard-working people who haven't always made the best decisions. I make a lot of interest free loans in the range of $50 to $3,000. I don't always get it back but I try to give people a chance to get out of a tight spot but still maintain responsibility.

I've helped a few people on the street before but always feel guilty afterwards for probably just feeding their addiction. I think I need to look for more ways to do nice things for people who aren't asking for it. It might be a nice change of pace.

Latest posts

Top Bottom