Who else believes in doing this?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool. About 4 years ago, I had a guy come up to me in downtown Chicago... said he and his family were hungry and asked me for money. Instead of offering money (to be used for alcohol or drugs) I offered to buy him and his family dinner. He was so thankful... asked if he could get his family. I said sure. I left for a couple of minutes and came back around the the corner with his wife and 5 little kiddos. We went to a Boston Market and had a nice meal. I sat there and ate dinner with them. They were just a normal family that had fallen on desperate times. It was a pretty cool... even life changing experience for me. I'll never forget it... and all those hungry kiddos coming out of nowhere. :-)

Wow. What an excellent experience. Our church has really tried to get the message across about helping those in need, especially in these times. You never really know what some people on the street are going through until these sort of opportunities come up. Great job!

I try to keep two philosophies with me at all times.

1. Don't let someone's bad day be a result of you being mean.
2. Sometimes is better to be nice than to be right.

I'm also working on letting everyone around me from my wife to a waiter know that I really appreciate them. (Funny how it's harder to tell that to the first rather then the last)

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before on here but here's a simple one that's easy to do.

If you're in a drive-thru, buy the person's meal behind you and drive off. Anonymous acts of kindness are the bestest. :D

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before on here but here's a simple one that's easy to do.

If you're in a drive-thru, buy the person's meal behind you and drive off. Anonymous acts of kindness are the bestest. :D
Cripes!
All this time I've been doing it wrong.......I've been *taking* their meal and driving off.
:shocked:

I'm just red-faced about this whole deal......

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife thinks of me as a better person than her just for the random nice things I do. 2009, Christmas Eve snowstorm, I was working until we finally closed at 3. Had to dig my car, my managers car, and another car out so we could leave. Dropped a co-worker off near his apartment and continued heading home. Came across a guy who was stuck when he had to stop at a stop sign leaving a neighborhood. I find a decent place to stop and help him get unstuck. Took me a bit to get going again but at least he wasn't sitting there waiting for help.

I believe in doing the right thing for others because it's the right thing to do. I'm not a christian, I don't have any religious beliefs, I just prefer to feel good about what I do instead of thinking "well, I could have done that but why bother". Of course it doesn't help that no good deed goes unrewarded (whether Karma or sheer luck).

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[.

I have done this, I also like to pay for meals for older folks at a restaurant and leave before they are told. I gaurantee that when you sow these seeds it comes back in one way or another!
My first time to be a "giver" My mom worked at a Wal-Mart dist.center in Plainview Texas and was on a benevalent committee, She asked me to donate which I did, I bought a skateboard for a 15 yr. old kid that his dad had cancer and couldn't work and his mom was a fulltime care giver to the dad, We delivered the skateboard with some other stuff for the mom,dad and the boy a couple of days before Christmas, When the shocked family realized what was happening they both started crying and I just smiled, Then the 15 yr. old boy came in and we gave him the skateboard, he started crying and hugged me real hard and me being the tough SOB I always thought I was started crying along with everybody else. Damn that felt good. I highly recommend paying it forward!!!

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[.

I have done this, I also like to pay for meals for older folks at a restaurant and leave before they are told. I gaurantee that when you sow these seeds it comes back in one way or another!
My first time to be a "giver" My mom worked at a Wal-Mart dist.center in Plainview Texas and was on a benevalent committee, She asked me to donate which I did, I bought a skateboard for a 15 yr. old kid that his dad had cancer and couldn't work and his mom was a fulltime care giver to the dad, We delivered the skateboard with some other stuff for the mom,dad and the boy a couple of days before Christmas, When the shocked family realized what was happening they both started crying and I just smiled, Then the 15 yr. old boy came in and we gave him the skateboard, he started crying and hugged me real hard and me being the tough SOB I always thought I was started crying along with everybody else. Damn that felt good. I highly recommend paying it forward!!!

Dang hip, if your a tough SOB and broke down crying at the hugs and what not. I must be a TOTAL SAP for getting teary eyed just from reading it! Geez toughen up you wuss (talking to self)!

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I do not donate directly to individuals in need but do donate a pretty large amount to the United Way every year. I feel that people can go here to get the temporary assistance that they may need. We also donate to the American Red Cross. I did buy a co-worker's lunch today.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I do not donate directly to individuals in need but do donate a pretty large amount to the United Way every year. I feel that people can go here to get the temporary assistance that they may need. We also donate to the American Red Cross. I did buy a co-worker's lunch today.

not trying to demean what you do, but why do you not directly give to people in need? is it just a personal belief of some sort? I am just curious of the reason, not saying it's right or wrong. Just curious!

Latest posts

Top Bottom