Who else believes in doing this?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else her just do "random acts of kindness" like I try to do?

I have always believed that old saying "be the change you want to see happen". I have always felt that if you acted with kindness to others you would always be treated that way in return! Now I know some people are just mean, and grump and basically hate life, but at some point it always comes back around to you. I have been in stores before where a person was checking someone out at the register and they were just very grumpy, somewhat impolite, ect. I would simply say "hello, how is your day going?" and I would just talk to them as if we really knew each other. sometimes; not always these people would almost appear to let down some defensiveness. And it just seems to me most all people just want to be encouraged and for someone to care. You don't even have to know someone to make them feel cared about or liked!

All this is because I have always been this way, because sometimes when I am at work or doing something I am pouring my heart into I have always welcomed encouragement, and always try to give it back in return. Lately I have been giving little random gifts at work (work for a school system) to the office ladies for all the help they give me and encouragement. Now when I say "gifts" I mean like a couple weeks ago I got the whole office Panera Bread bagels for breakfast, ect. And tonight I was making some chocolate chip cookies and decided to make some for them for the morning. And it seems like they are just sooooooo much more helpful and delightful to work with everyday because of the mutual atmosphere of respect and encouragement.

So I was just wondering do any of you guys do this kind of stuff at work, play, stores, ect? And soes it seem like it makes life easier, ect? and what are your stories from this?

PDN

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree. I try to do little things whether I'm at work or in a supermarket. I like to greet strangers and to say kind (and honest) things to others... usually in the form of a complement. I'm always amazed at what a kind word or two can do to someone's face and demeanor. It makes me feel feel human... and I believe it brings out the humanity and same kind, generous, neighborly qualities in others.

Thanks for posting... this is good topic and I look forward to seeing what others post.

-Paul

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always *begin* polite until you twist my tail....and unfortunately it can get knotted very easily sometimes, but it's something I've been working on harder lately.
Frequently I do nice things for random folks when I can...and often when I can't...particularly for "hard luck" folks.
To be perfectly honest there are times when I probably shouldn't but I've been there, had someone help me, and am convinced it made the dif between life/death....

I mean....I understand it sounds a li'l dramatic, but for those who don't know me I'm generally rather volitile in almost every regard.
:anyone:

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always *begin* polite until you twist my tail....and unfortunately it can get knotted very easily sometimes, but it's something I've been working on harder lately.
Frequently I do nice things for random folks when I can...and often when I can't...particularly for "hard luck" folks.
To be perfectly honest there are times when I probably shouldn't but I've been there, had someone help me, and am convinced it made the dif between life/death....

I mean....I understand it sounds a li'l dramatic, but for those who don't know me I'm generally rather volitile in almost every regard.
:anyone:

I understand J.P. I have had similar encounters with some people, I take alot, I mean alot to get upset. I am a big gentle teddy bear! That's why I love kids and love working for a school. But everyone has a limit, I just try even harder with the people who are not nice in return, because you never know whose life will better if you get through to a hard hearted person. Just some thoughts!

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We randomly don't charge people for their food and it leaves some people speechless. Yesterday outside Walmart my wife bought two cans of the carmel popcorn from the Boy Scouts and before I knew it she had given one to this lady behind her. Why? Because for once in our life we can.

PDN

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We randomly don't charge people for their food and it leaves some people speechless. Yesterday outside Walmart my wife bought two cans of the carmel popcorn from the Boy Scouts and before I knew it she had given one to this lady behind her. Why? Because for once in our life we can.

Very cool. About 4 years ago, I had a guy come up to me in downtown Chicago... said he and his family were hungry and asked me for money. Instead of offering money (to be used for alcohol or drugs) I offered to buy him and his family dinner. He was so thankful... asked if he could get his family. I said sure. I left for a couple of minutes and came back around the the corner with his wife and 5 little kiddos. We went to a Boston Market and had a nice meal. I sat there and ate dinner with them. They were just a normal family that had fallen on desperate times. It was a pretty cool... even life changing experience for me. I'll never forget it... and all those hungry kiddos coming out of nowhere. :-)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If we're out to eat and see an older couple celebrating an anniversary or any older person wearing a veteren ball cap who's eating by themself, I'll pick up their tab anomymously.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool. About 4 years ago, I had a guy come up to me in downtown Chicago... said he and his family were hungry and asked me for money. Instead of offering money (to be used for alcohol or drugs) I offered to buy him and his family dinner. He was so thankful... asked if he could get his family. I said sure. I left for a couple of minutes and came back around the the corner with his wife and 5 little kiddos. We went to a Boston Market and had a nice meal. I sat there and ate dinner with them. They were just a normal family that had fallen on desperate times. It was a pretty cool... even life changing experience for me. I'll never forget it... and all those hungry kiddos coming out of nowhere. :-)

Man that is inspiring, I have always loved the movie pay it forward. Because it is so true in life! And you know even if you never get anything in return, you will always get the feeling of gratefulness or pride in possibly changing someones life. Like J.P. it could even make the difference between life and death!

I have always love the story my pastor has told several times at church:
A young man was visiting the beach and thousands of star fish had been washed up on the beach to die, he just looked on in amazement for a while until he noticed an old man walking down the beach. The old man would walk a few feet and bend over and pick up a star fish and throw it back in the ocean, then he would walk a little further down and do it again, and again. Soon the young man kind of annoyed at the sheer idea of saving them all and how impossible it was said " hey old man, why are you taking the time to throw them back in? it's useless, you can't save them." the old man turned and looked at the young man, looked back down and picked up another star fish and threw it back in the ocean and said " I just made a difference for that one."

And unfortunetly we all sometimes have good intentions, but we get discouraged in life because it's so overwhelming and we can't help everyone, ect. So often times we do nothing at all, this helps no one. Even if you go through your whole life and never really do much, but you give someone else a second chance to succeed by a kind act, you have already changed someones life in more dramatic ways than you could ever know. This person may go on to have a great life, and in return save someone else.

Like the saying goes "the life you save maybe your own."

Latest posts

Top Bottom