Who qualifies as a veteran?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had lunch with a couple of friends today, and an interesting question came up. I couldn’t answer it, but I said that I know where I can get a good answer (hopefully).

One fellow was saying that he was not considered a veteran because during his six years in Army Reserve, he was only on active duty for training including annual camp. I said that I am pretty sure that he did not qualify for any benefits, but I thought he was still considered as a veteran.

Any thoughts?

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did 6 years honorably, he’s a vet. A veteran is literally just a person who enlisted or swore a commission into the military, and did the amount of time required.

Now, no time overseas in a combat zone…. I don’t care if you have 20 years in, you’re still a boot. You’re a vet, and you did a good thing, but you’re still a boot.
That was my thinking, but like I.said, I don’t think I ever heard different.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had never heard anything to the contrary, but I knew there were enough veterans on here with probably every type of veteran category, and would have a correct answer.

Thanks everyone, I’ll pass this on to the fellow.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dating back to the days of the late '60's when I was in the Army, my basic training time was with a company made up of over 99% reserve and national guard. I think that "maybe" there were three of us in the company that were what was considered "regular Army."

If they served honorably and got a DD214, they are a veteran.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used the Bing AI search to ask "Who is a US military veteran?"
Most concise source seems to be:
https://va.org/what-is-a-veteran-the-legal-definition/
Bottom line: What is a Veteran? Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.”

Since there is no time defined for amount of time spent on active duty, I suppose Active Duty for Training (ADT) while in a reserve component would count. I still wonder what one's status had to have been at the time of discharge/release. FWIW, I'd consider the OP's friend a veteran.

I served 23 years and change with 20 years, 1 month active duty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom