Who qualifies as a veteran?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had lunch with a couple of friends today, and an interesting question came up. I couldn’t answer it, but I said that I know where I can get a good answer (hopefully).

One fellow was saying that he was not considered a veteran because during his six years in Army Reserve, he was only on active duty for training including annual camp. I said that I am pretty sure that he did not qualify for any benefits, but I thought he was still considered as a veteran.

Any thoughts?
If he completed initial training, he received a DD-214.
From the perspective of a 20 year USAF retiree, and a 20 year USAF Civil Service retiree, he is most certainly a veteran.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had lunch with a couple of friends today, and an interesting question came up. I couldn’t answer it, but I said that I know where I can get a good answer (hopefully).

One fellow was saying that he was not considered a veteran because during his six years in Army Reserve, he wasned only on active duty for training including annual camp. I said that I am pretty sure that he did not qualify for any benefits, but I thought he was still considered as a veteran.

Any thoughts?
He is right as far as government services are concerned. Corporations have different criteria for veteran status. Some recognize you are a veteran if you have a DD214. Any DD214. I am a veteran for some things but like him, I didn't serve active duty for a long period. I was only reserve and national guard for 8 years with a spattering of active duty for training only.

Due to circumstances beyond my control. I resigned my commission in 1987.

Last edited:

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats. 1/3 when? How long were you in? What was your MOS? Where did you deploy to?
Dude the majority of the Corps never deployed let alone saw combat and this was during the peaks of OIF and OEF. CARs were cheapened by people falsely reporting contact. Before you ask 2/7 Golf, 0351 from 06-10, total career 06-16

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As @kroberts2131 and @Raido Free America said, there are some specifics to being a "veteran", depending on the type of veteran one is speaking of. I served with a bunch of guys not much older than me in the National Guard that deployed in 1991 for Desert Storm, but got released from active duty just under the 181 day mark. So for them, no VA medical benefits. But were they veterans in other ways, i.e. served their country honorably, served in a combat zone, etc--YES.

The ones who stayed in ended up getting their 181 days (x2) when we deployed to Kuwait/Iraq in 03-04. To me, there are military veterans, then there are combat veterans, who wear the "combat patch". But sometimes, being in a combat zone does not make one a combat veteran, other than on paper. I personally never pushed/pulled the trigger on my M2 or SAW while running missions in Iraq, other than test firing. So I don't consider myself much of a combat veteran, even though I was there.

I say we treat everyone who voluntarily put on any uniform for this country's armed forces equally, unless they demand special treatment for services not really rendered, like stolen valor or "I demand attention JUST because I served".

YMMV

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude the majority of the Corps never deployed let alone saw combat and this was during the peaks of OIF and OEF. CARs were cheapened by people falsely reporting contact. Before you ask 2/7 Golf, 0351 from 06-10, total career 06-16
I don't understand where everyone is getting bent out of shape. I simply stated that if you sign up and do your time honorably, I believe that you're a veteran. I also clarified that if someone doesn't deploy, that they are considered a boot. But still a veteran and worthy of respect. But I never said "you aren't worth a crap" or anything of the sort. I simply stated that if you don't deploy you're this, but if you do, you're not. nothing hateful or discriminatory about it, its like saying someone is green before they learn their trade well enough to not stick out like a sore thumb. Thats it.

Whoever is using fake accounts to send me stuff, stop sending me PM's cussing at me and calling me racial slurs. you're just wasting your time. Don't try to dox me. Anyone who has some hateful crap they want to say, go ahead and say it, I am adding anyone here who responded to my block list, especially anyone who wants to sent me PMs ratherthan say how you feel in public. I'm also deleteing all my previous messages. Eff off.

Sorry David, didn't mean to derail, I was honestly trying to give an honest opinion at the start and be helpful. That’s it.

Last edited:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand where everyone is getting bent out of shape. I simply stated that if you sign up and do your time honorably, I believe that you're a veteran. I also clarified that if someone doesn't deploy, that they are considered a boot. But still a veteran and worthy of respect. But I never said "you aren't worth a crap" or anything of the sort. I simply stated that if you don't deploy you're this, but if you do, you're not. nothing hateful or discriminatory about it, its like saying someone is green before they learn their trade well enough to not stick out like a sore thumb. Thats it.

Whoever is using fake accounts to send me stuff, stop sending me PM's cussing at me and calling me racial slurs. you're just wasting your time. Don't try to dox me. Anyone who has some hateful crap they want to say, go ahead and say it, I am adding anyone here who responded to my block list, especially anyone who wants to sent me PMs ratherthan say how you feel in public. I'm also deleteing all my previous messages. Eff off.

Sorry David, didn't mean to derail, I was honestly trying to give an honest opinion at the start and be helpful. That’s it.
If someone is sending you PM's like that, forward them to one of the moderators.

Latest posts

Top Bottom