Who qualifies as a veteran?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Veteran. I remember a guy who purposely screwed up and was discharged at six months and he said he didn’t care, he had college benefits. That was his intent, to meet minimum requirements and have the GI Bill.
Well he definitely didn’t get the full benefit if he did get it and depending on his discharge classification (most likely a general) he wouldn’t qualify anyways.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did 6 years honorably, he’s a vet. A veteran is literally just a person who enlisted or swore a commission into the military, and did the amount of time required.

Now, no time overseas in a combat zone…. I don’t care if you have 20 years in, you’re still a boot. You’re a vet, and you did a good thing, but you’re still a boot.
I did 24 years in the Air Force. Seven in months in Saudi Arabia, during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Technically, in a combat zone. Had fragments from the Scud-B's landing on the villa we were quartered in. So far as I can tell, that doesn't count for combat. I refer to myself as an REMF. Only gunfire where we were was a Saudi guard freaking out and shooting at shadow on the other side of the mosque at 6th RSAF HQ, in Riyadh. My unit's only fatality during that period was our loggie, who had a heart attack while cleaning his pool at home, fell in and drowned.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legally speaking, ADT alone is not enough. Part of the reason for that is it depends on who pays……title 10 is federal. Title 32 is state. If an injury occurs during ADT then it can be considered active duty for va purposes. It’s extremely technical.

Common sense speaking is anyone who ever put on a uniform.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had lunch with a couple of friends today, and an interesting question came up. I couldn’t answer it, but I said that I know where I can get a good answer (hopefully).

One fellow was saying that he was not considered a veteran because during his six years in Army Reserve, he was only on active duty for training including annual camp. I said that I am pretty sure that he did not qualify for any benefits, but I thought he was still considered as a veteran.

Any thoughts?
I served 6 years in the Army National Guard. That required 6 months active duty, plus 2 week summer camps each year. On my 6 month active duty I was released after 4 month and 10 days, which was OK with me. Later I found out, if I had served the full 6 months active duty, I would have qualified for VA benefits!! I'm not sure of the number of days required, but it must be based on the number of days in active duty.

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did 6 years honorably, he’s a vet. A veteran is literally just a person who enlisted or swore a commission into the military, and did the amount of time required.

Now, no time overseas in a combat zone…. I don’t care if you have 20 years in, you’re still a boot. You’re a vet, and you did a good thing, but you’re still a boot.
I served with a number of folks that were not "combat zone" and i would definitely NOT refer to them as "boot". Sounds like you have participation syndrome. Believe a few rounds shot in your general direction make you special.

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did 24 years in the Air Force. Seven in months in Saudi Arabia, during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Technically, in a combat zone. Had fragments from the Scud-B's landing on the villa we were quartered in. So far as I can tell, that doesn't count for combat. I refer to myself as an REMF. Only gunfire where we were was a Saudi guard freaking out and shooting at shadow on the other side of the mosque at 6th RSAF HQ, in Riyadh. My unit's only fatality during that period was our loggie, who had a heart attack while cleaning his pool at home, fell in and drowned.
don't let mister "participation" make you degrade your time. Not hearing a few rounds doesn't make your contribution any less. Takes a lot of effort by people in other MOS's to put boots on the ground and being in those boots does not make you special, just there...

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never said I was special. Let me guess, you wear one of these?View attachment 394131

E.g. Only group of veterans who seems to have group of individuals who have a problem with guys who deployed. Not all, but there’s definitely an outspoken few.
Nice try...1/3 myself...9th Inf and MACV for my dad...pegged you correctly...

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never said I was special. Let me guess, you wear one of these?View attachment 394131

E.g. Only group of veterans who seems to have group of individuals who have a problem with guys who deployed. Not all, but there’s definitely an outspoken few.
I'm a Cold War veteran, and a Vietnam Era veteran, as well. Still only the one time in a nominal war zone. Though I was in Turkey, twice, helping keep an eye on the Soviets before the fall of the Soviet Union. Later, was in Germany, sending troops into various war zones in the FRY, and one in Rwanda. REMF, I said, for several reasons.:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom