Why do you carry a revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
AD = Accidental Discharge
ND = Negligent Discharge
XD = Coffee Table Discharge

The OGs here will get it. 🤣
VD= Vehicular Discharge

When I was about 14 years of age my Brother in Law and I had been Squirrel Hunting down on the River. I had in possession an old single shot 410 break over, with a hammer fire. For some reason I loved to pull the hammer back and release it, gently, just to feel the action. Loved the feel of a hammer cocking, still do, that is why I love revolvers also. Any ways we were sitting at a local convenience store and I was as usual playing with the Hammer and Trigger. By convenience there was an Old Gentleman walking in front of the pickup when my finger slipped off the hammer and pow the gun was loaded with 4 shot, the fellow immediately started limping and went into the store. My heart sunk, the thoughts going thru my head were crap I just shot a man, I will go to prison, I hope he doesn't die. I ran into the store where everybody was laughing at me, I do not know how the old fellow new to limp but he did and it taught me one heck of a lesson about how firearms are always loaded and treat them accordingly. There was a hole in the floor of the pickup because I did have the barrel toward the floor. The shot also put a dent in the frame rail the size of a fifty cent piece. No shot even hit the ground, with any velocity, fortunately. I laugh now and it is a fond memory of the days when a kid could accidentally discharge a weapon in public and not go to jail. I do Thank God, that no one was hurt.

When I check an action now a day, I know where the barrel is pointing because slips happen and Guns are Always Loaded even when Empty.

One more thing I Cringe at a Gun Store when I see people grab a pistol and start racking the slide, pulling the trigger, and carelessly pointing and brandishing people, then say it is okay it is unloaded. In observation you hardly ever see any customer check to see if a gun is loaded or not when they are at a gun shop looking at guns. Just because the counter guy does a careless half check a lot of people take for granted it is unloaded. Plus it is not cool to ever brandish any one ever.

Apologize for the RANT just my experience, I think it might be worth a share, even though it is still somewhat embarrassing.

PS: is that anything like an XD ?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
VD= Vehicular Discharge

When I was about 14 years of age my Brother in Law and I had been Squirrel Hunting down on the River. I had in possession an old single shot 410 break over, with a hammer fire. For some reason I loved to pull the hammer back and release it, gently, just to feel the action. Loved the feel of a hammer cocking, still do, that is why I love revolvers also. Any ways we were sitting at a local convenience store and I was as usual playing with the Hammer and Trigger. By convenience there was an Old Gentleman walking in front of the pickup when my finger slipped off the hammer and pow the gun was loaded with 4 shot, the fellow immediately started limping and went into the store. My heart sunk, the thoughts going thru my head were crap I just shot a man, I will go to prison, I hope he doesn't die. I ran into the store where everybody was laughing at me, I do not know how the old fellow new to limp but he did and it taught me one heck of a lesson about how firearms are always loaded and treat them accordingly. There was a hole in the floor of the pickup because I did have the barrel toward the floor. The shot also put a dent in the frame rail the size of a fifty cent piece. No shot even hit the ground, with any velocity, fortunately. I laugh now and it is a fond memory of the days when a kid could accidentally discharge a weapon in public and not go to jail. I do Thank God, that no one was hurt.

When I check an action now a day, I know where the barrel is pointing because slips happen and Guns are Always Loaded even when Empty.

One more thing I Cringe at a Gun Store when I see people grab a pistol and start racking the slide, pulling the trigger, and carelessly pointing and brandishing people, then say it is okay it is unloaded. In observation you hardly ever see any customer check to see if a gun is loaded or not when they are at a gun shop looking at guns. Just because the counter guy does a careless half check a lot of people take for granted it is unloaded. Plus it is not cool to ever brandish any one ever.

Apologize for the RANT just my experience, I think it might be worth a share, even though it is still somewhat embarrassing.

PS: is that anything like an XD ?

No, the XD joke happened many years ago when a member said his Springfield Armory XD was siting on a coffee table and he was vacuuming the floor, bumped the table, the pistol fell and fired. Of course we all claimed BS and laughed at him. :rollingla

Hooper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, the XD joke happened many years ago when a member said his Springfield Armory XD was siting on a coffee table and he was vacuuming the floor, bumped the table, the pistol fell and fired. Of course we all claimed BS and laughed at him. :rollingla
10-4
A man has to come up with some excuse to explain the Hole thru multiple walls in the house when the wife gets home. If you said you were vacuuming it might help reduce the madness, plus you might never have to vacuum again.

When you put OG's in there, I could just imagine a bunch of dudes (OG's) sitting around the coffee table with wife beaters on, racking slides and pulling triggers.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10-4
A man has to come up with some excuse to explain the Hole thru multiple walls in the house when the wife gets home. If you said you were vacuuming it might help reduce the madness, plus you might never have to vacuum again.

When you put OG's in there, I could just imagine a bunch of dudes (OG's) sitting around the coffee table with wife beaters on, racking slides and pulling triggers.

We had some purdy good debates on here back in the day. With know-it-alls like Michael Brown and a few others. Good times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom