Why do you shoot what you shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never said I could, I dont think anyone ever could with out a rest. But I bet there arent any glocks on here than can do it from a rest.

I think you're missing the point and that is...... what practical use does a 1.5-2in @ 50yd gun have? Since nobody can reproduce those results.

Reginald Murray

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a Glock 23C with Trijicon sights. I use this, because when the decision was made ... I had two choices at the time. Either the Glock or a Springfield XD 40 subcom. Well ... the Glock was obtainable first ... the Springfield was on backorder. So that's what I carry ... and why I carry it.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My whole point was not to complain about Glock it was to discuss why everyone is so infatuated with them. I have no particular problem with any gun manufacture. I just simply want to figure out if there were some Glock shooters out there that could prove that it is not all hype and that there is more there than just a name. Besides what’s wrong with a little healthy debate anyways. I thought that was what this web site was for, information.

I first started carrying Glocks because they were issued to me and I was forced to give up my S&W Mod. 686 .357 that I had carried since 1990.
For about a year I litterally tried to find something, ANYTHING, wrong with the 2 Glocks that I had been issued. I cussed and complained, and pissed and moaned, about how they would never hold up as well as my wheel gun for the work that we do (Mounted Officer). I carry one or both of my issue Glocks everywhere daily (exept church). And they have never failed to fire and cycle reliably. I have litterally cleaned mud, blood, dirt, horsehair, puke from a drunk, and many other things to nasty to mention out of those 2 pistols and they still function reliably. On duty, on the farm, on the street, I promise you that my 2 Glocks have been put through the paces and I can say that they will work under any conditions that I care to be under.
I can only say that about one other carry arm and that's my old Mod. 686, 17yrs, 3 rebuilds, over 40,000 rounds. Will still make a head shot on a K-5 target at 50 yds.(still can't do that with either one of my Glocks).

Jimbo

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see your point Glocktogo, but on the other side there are plenty of police forces,spec ops teams, and compitition shooters that use the 1911, Barretta, or other platforms that do well with them also. Have you trained with any other types of pistols besides Glock? And if so what made you like the Glock better?

I trained with the 1911, the M9 and even the S&W .38 revolver in the military. Didn't much care for the Beretta. I was 7 seconds off the combat course record using the 1911. A few years and a couple of 1911's after I got out, OK passed its CCL and I opted to go with a Glock 27 for my carry gun. I'm pretty sure I could have smoked that record with my Glock or even my XD .45 Tactical.

My luck would have been the guy that held the record would have bought a Glock and took it back, but then again maybe he was using a Glock? Hmmmm.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you're missing the point and that is...... what practical use does a 1.5-2in @ 50yd gun have? Since nobody can reproduce those results.

Depends on what is practical for the one shooting the gun. As an carry gun for self defense its not practical but for a competition gun it is very practical. I am no where a competitive shooter nor am I trying to sound like one. I shoot Bullseye because I enjoy it. That said, lets say a shooter has a glock that will hold a 6" group and the shooter has a wobble area of 6". That is a 12" area where your impact could be. Now take the same shooter with a 1911 that will hold a 2" group. With a wobble area of 6" you now have a 8" impact area. You just reduced your total possible impact area by 4". I just pulled those numbers out of the air but it shows why having a pistol that will hold a 2" group is practical to a competitive shooter.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just pulled those numbers out of the air but it shows why having a pistol that will hold a 2" group is practical to a competitive shooter.

Right, I get all of this. I'm just saying that in most forms of competition you see today a Glock will do just fine because competition is leaning towards practicality, this excludes Bullseye. Notice the 1911 hardball/PPC trend is nearly gone? ;) I think most people realize they should just grab a rifle when it comes to certain distances.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I never get tired of posting this

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b398_FLHRI_OK_howaglockworks.gif

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As hard as I tried to hate Glock, the simple fact is that they work very well. I used every excuse from just plain arrogant to stupid trying to hate them. I won’t badmouth anyone’s baby but I have seen very high end firearms with various issues but I will name one, it all came to a head when my $2,500 Unertl .45 kept having ejection issues. The one thing kept coming to my mind was that not even a $500 Glock would have had this issue. It was an external extractor and it just needed a stronger spring. I know it is stupid superstition but as far as I am concerned, other than issues caused by bad magazines, faulty or deformed ammunition any failure to function 100% puts the firearm in the same category as a low down dirty cheating spouse. I divorce it instantly. Most Glocks, HKs, Sigs, SAs, etc. etc. etc. all work great.

One more thing, magazine articles are designed to make you think that what you have is no longer good enough. They make money by selling advertisements and writing articles designed to make you think you need to buy whatever the hell their advertisers want you to buy. That is why the latest issue of Guns and Ammo isn’t going to have an article named HK USP .45 still the most awesome gun ever built.

What should you carry? Whatever the heck you want. To hell with what I or anyone else thinks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom