Why do you shoot what you shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glocks are used for action pistol because the target is big, See how well your custom glock does at 50yds in a bullseye match. I havent seen any custom built glocks that come with a 2.5" - 10 shot group at 50yds guarantee. Just saying.

Why would I need a Glock to shoot a 2.5" 10 shot group at 50 yards if I'm not shooting bullseye? I do have a Glock with a Bar-Sto barrel that will shoot a sub 2" 10 shot group at 25 yards with 1245gr XTP's. That's plenty good enough for anything I'll ever shoot at with it! :)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glocks are used for action pistol because the target is big, See how well your custom glock does at 50yds in a bullseye match. I havent seen any custom built glocks that come with a 2.5" - 10 shot group at 50yds guarantee. Just saying.

I have a few 1911s that will supposedly shot that from a rest.... let's see you reproduce it.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a glock because the ergonomics fit me. I can draw it out of my IWB holster and have my sights aligned on target with no hunting of the front sight. It points perfectly. The weight is perfect, and I'm one of the few weirdos who actually finds the Gen 3 glocks with the finger grooves to be very comfortable.

I used to struggle with the grip angle, but that was when I stood straight up and fired the gun in a very upright "casual" stance. Once I learned the proper shooting stances and learned to lean in to the shot, the grip angle is now perfect and on point. I now struggle with guns with less steep grip angles and find that I if I quickly draw from a holster, I cannot see the front sight and the nozzle of the gun is pointed downwards more, since I'm expecting a Glock grip angle.

+1, I've shot many different platforms, the G17 is one of the only guns besides my S&W 65 that points so naturally. Don't have to adjust my grip or sight alignment. It is very easy to get on target quickly and stay there for follow-up.

Reaction score
In short, because they're the best I can get within my budget, with the features I want and need - why else?

CZs, BHPs, 1911s, Kahrs, 3rd Gen S&Ws, and the occasional Sig classic or miscellaneous. Best overall calculus of value including durability/build quality, fit & finish, accuracy, reliability, ergonomics, capacity, price, and wanted features for type 'X' or 'Y' carry mode, including weight, size, trigger type/manual of arms.

CZs excel at everything, particularly accuracy - but they're not quite the value they were when the dollar was stronger relative to the Euro. Now the weak dollar jacks their import/exchange price up (ditto for other imports though). For slimlines for deep concealment, hard to beat Kahrs and little meltdown 1911s. Seriously looking at an M&P for the girlfriend - hearing great things. Glocks? Surely you jest - putrid value, horrible ergos - decent gun, but should cost less than a Bersa. At least with Bersa, you get better ergos, better mag release, metal mags, metal sights, and metal guide rod. At around $200-$250, Glocks would be a good beater gun - like a Hi-point but without the pot metal - it'd be worth going up from the Hi-Point's price to get the slight improvement in quality for a beater tackle box/deer camp/pickup truck/work site gun. They should be priced more than a Hi-Point, but less than a Taurus or Bersa. OK, because of the excellent finish, I'd say about in line with Bersa - so maybe $300 - but definitely less than Taurus! :P

[Now if they'd actually, ya know, *innovate* as time goes by, like every other polymer gun maker does, like S&W - who realized the Smegma was Smegma and thus made the M&P AND improved and renamed the smegma - and like Walther, Springfield, Taurus, Beretta, Kahr, Ruger, Kel-Tec and everyone else EXCEPT Glock - then maybe we'd have something worth paying for. Glock is the only one going backward in innovation with their generation "improvements" - or at best staying the same for all intents and purposes.]

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Why would I need a Glock to shoot a 2.5" 10 shot group at 50 yards if I'm not shooting bullseye? I do have a Glock with a Bar-Sto barrel that will shoot a sub 2" 10 shot group at 25 yards with 1245gr XTP's. That's plenty good enough for anything I'll ever shoot at with it! :)

Holy Schnikeys Dude!! I want some of them! Where do you get those?!?!?

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are 4 guns that I shoot, and 2 that I will carry.

Beretta 92FS
S&W 18-4
S&W 36
Custom Springfield Gov't 1911

The 36 and the 1911 are what I carry. Why? Because I know them and trust them. I know M&Ps, XDs, and Glocks are reliable and rugged, but I've just never had any other pistol that felt as good in my hand, or that I've enjoyed enough to take lots of time and practice to familiarize myself with it.

It's all personal preference. They all have pros and cons. Try them all, find one you like, learn every nut and bolt, and practice.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive been diggin the S&W M&P 9's for some time now. have both a compact and service model size. ive taken classes with both and they hold up just as well as anything. the compact is my carry gun and i know i can trust either one to do its job either on the range of if i need to use them in defense.

i do like glocks alot and still miss my G19 that i had but never cared much for the XD's after shooting one but i just had to find what works for me.

The biggest challenge in finding a weapon you are comfortable with. then you need to train/ practice with that weapon untill you are positive you can trust it and yourself with that weapon under stress.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can field strip my glock in under 30 seconds,.. not so much so with my beloved 1911s.

Hah. I think you're being overly generous here. This sounded off to me, so I pulled out my G22. From loaded and chambered, I field stripped it to barrel, guide-rod, slide, and lower in under 8 seconds (using a stop watch, not counting 1-Mississippi, 2-....). And I didn't really rush it. I bet with practice it could be done in 5.

Latest posts

Top Bottom