Why do you shoot what you shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry and compete with a S&W M&P. They have some features that I prefer over the glock--such as interchangeable backstraps, more tunable triggers (opinion) and built in beavertail. Cyrwus's trigger jobs are tops. My production gun has like a 3.5 lb. trigger with a ridiculously short reset and very minimal creep. I also think felt recoil is a bit less.

Why don't you come to match and see these guns in action for yourself? There's definitely a reason the plastic fantastic dominates.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see your point Glocktogo, but on the other side there are plenty of police forces,spec ops teams, and compitition shooters that use the 1911, Barretta, or other platforms that do well with them also. Have you trained with any other types of pistols besides Glock? And if so what made you like the Glock better?

I'm a 4 division Master in the International Defensive Pistol Association. I made Master in all 4 divisions by winning at the IDPA Nationals, which I have shot 9 of the last 10 years. I made SSP Master in 2000 with a G-34. I made CDP Master in 2004 with a Wilson Combat 1911. I made SSR Master in 2005 with a S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum (Won the Division Champion title to do it). I made ESP Master in 2007 with a G-34 (same one). I campaigned a S&W 625 .45ACP revolver in ESR in 2006 and had several 1st place wins, but the division bump to Master eluded me due to not enough competitors to beat at that level in that division. Only my ESR Expert classification is via shooting the classifier course of fire.

In 2008 I ran a S&W M&P .40 and never really gelled with it. I think the best I did was 1st SSP Master at Nevada State. Great gun, it just didn't fit me personally. It's now my wife's bedside gun and she loves it. In 2009 I switched to a G-17 and had my best finish to date, 11th overall out of 368 shooters at the IDPA Nationals. I was the top non-sponsored shooter that year.

I've owned EVERY major brand of combat semi-auto at some point in my career and a whole lot of lesser known brands. I always return to the Glock. I also have significant experience officiating pistol matches. I've been the Asst. Match Director for the IDPA Nationals for the last 2 years and it looks like I will be again in 2011. I've seen every type of gun run at arms length and most all of them can be made to work just fine. Out of the box however, I've yet to see any other make that runs as reliably as the Glock.

As far as what wins, you'll always have freaks of nature like Ernest Langdon, who's won national titles with Beretta and Sigarms. He likely will again with a Smith & Wesson M&P, if he fully recovers from an injury last year. Not only can he shoot well with each type, he can also work magic inside them. True shooters like him are few and far between.

On average, more shooters will perform their best with a Glock due to the ergronomics of it. The way it forces you to lock the wrists when shot correctly, low bore centerline, polymer frame to absorb recoil and correct placement of the minimal controls works in favor of the properly trained shooter. I think it takes a more savvy shooter to perform at the same level with other makes like the 1911 pattern guns and DA/SA designs. When you add in the additional care that has to be used to make them run reliably, it just takes more effort.

Each shooter will make choices base on their own experience. They will develop preferences which may never include Glock, and that's ok. But to dismiss it as hype would be to dismiss an incredible body of factual evidence that proves otherwise. JMO, YMMV

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if you dont feel like searching, I will give my best, unbiased breakdown.

First off, I am excluding Beretta.

Reliability: This all depends on which 1911 we are talking about. I have seen far too many lower end 1911s FTF. However, if you include higher end 1911s, then you have to look at life cycle. Im not going to use word of mouth, but FBI reports 50,000 fires from same pistol without repair/replaced parts from a single .40s&w glock. Take 50000 shots fired divided by the cost of ~$500. That comes to 100 shots per dollar. For a higher end 1911 to be as reliable, and in regards to cost, it would need approximately 200000 shots fired without repair/replacement in shots (given an estimated cost of $2000 for a higher end 1911). Now, I have read where its expected that a quality 1911 can shoot upwards of 150k, but require replacing some parts (likewise, I have read reports of 300k glocks). Both 150k and 300k are unsubstantiated, and therefore I dismiss both claims. I will leave you with the fact that if the FBI reports are correct, a 1911 would need to fire 100 * Cost of the Gun without repair/replacement of parts to be considered "as reliable".

Asthetics: As I have said before, I have never seen a carpenter buy a hammer cause it was pretty.

Accuracy: I'll give a nod to the high end 1911, however, considering a base investment of $500, competitive reliability can be bought into a Glock for competitive prices to a high end 1911.

Weight: I give the nod to the Glock. No questions. The proof is in the specs.

Ease of Maintenance: Ask an armourer and I think you will find that requiring a simple dowel for takedown is a very valuable trait. From experience, I can field strip my glock in under 30 seconds,.. not so much so with my beloved 1911s.

Touch/Feel: Completely subjective. Thats going to be in the hands of the user.

Price: as related to reliability, I will take a $500 glock over a $500 1911 any day of the week.

Now I am sure GMT will be in shortly to post his GKb gif.. So to pre-empt

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

a3.bp.blogspot.com__32FEB60Zmv4_SuyFvAJIZ_I_AAAAAAAAExY_JkdaU44RB94_s400_SW_Kaboom_01.jpg

Kabooms are not exclusive to glocks. What makes them bad for glocks (and the Hks or any other polymer gun) is the fact its a polymer gun and the result of a kB can be far more devastating. That said, I still say its an overpressure issue with the ammo or FO in the barrel and not a fault of the firearm.

Now, I have to go hug my 1911s so they know I still love them.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't hate Glocks, I just like CZs much better, The reason I no longer use a Glock is that dang trigger, cannot work it due to missing parts of fingers on my dominate hand. If I can't pick it up and use it to protect my family or my self in a moments notice, without having to take time to readjust my grip, it is no good to me as a carry weapon. Sadly both my 1911 and Glock have become range queens for this reason.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To answer the original question of "Why do you shoot what you shoot": I have a Glock 19, a Glock 30sf, a Kahr CW9 and a S&W 642 that all get carried on occasion. I have other guns I just sometimes shoot, but I carry the ones listed because they work well for me, I can hit what I am shooting at, and I just like them for carry. I have a few other pistols I like to shoot but I don't want to carry.

I also like to just shoot my .22lr pistols and my Advantage Arms conversion kit cause I love to spend a few hours busting dirt clods and post-it notes taped to paper plates for the low cost of .22 ammo!

ldmtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I decided to get my cc permit I had 2 hand guns. A S&W 38 Chief Special and a Dan Wesson 357 mag. I wanted something bigger the the 38 to carry and I could not get the 357 and myself in any of my pants. Started doing a lot of research. Determined I needed a semi-auto and something in 45 cal. The overall consensus of my research was that the Glock line was extremely dependable. If you use quality ammo and do not screw with the gun it will go bang when you want it to.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For CC the last 4 years its been an XD 9mm subcompact cause I loved it when I first saw it- reliable,fits in my hand nice,shoots great and anything I buy to shoot in it goes right thru it. Shooting practice, a G17 bought from a comp shooter on the board that he had done alot of mods to,had about 11k rounds thru it when I got it- it replaced my old Beretta 92F my dad gave me when I was in highschool in the 80s. XD 45 and its BUG, my dads old S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman 6"- home defense go to's besides a Benelli SuperNova 18 1/2" Tactical. Various other favorites are in the safe.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
:offtopic2: Why is it that the word Beretta is so often misspelled? I see so many people on here that can't spell it correctly and I don't know why, but it bothers me. Maybe I'm just too picky :rolleyes2

Anywho, I shoot what I shoot because it's what I have. (Glock 19, Springfield 1911) If I'm not proficient with it or don't shoot it that often then I'll sell it and get something I will use.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out with a compact XD-40, didn't care for it too much. Although it was being used before I had any real shooting training so it was probably been me that was the problem.

Then went to a Sig 229 DAK. The gun is extremely reliable, however I hate the trigger. Trigger pull is way too long for my liking.

Purchased a Kahr PM-9. Good reliable gun, never had any problems with it. Just a little too small for my hands.

Then went to a S&W 1911. Good gun, never had any problems. Just didn't like having a manual safety.

Recently bought a G23. Good gun, no problems (yet). I've also had the benefit of being able to shoot a buddy's G34, G22, and his G23. All are simply great guns. I enjoy shooting the Glock over any of the other guns. They just feel better, for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom