Why do you show your CWL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Time to get some business cards, or just a post it note and hand it to the officer on top of your DL similar to:

The presenter of this card is carrying a legally concealed handgun under the authority of the Oklahoma SDA. This notice constitutes the required Oklahoma SDA 21 O.S. § 1290.8 Notification To Police.

Your discretion is appreciated in avoiding notifying others than I am carrying a concealed weapon.

Please use the word "banana" instead of "gun", "handgun", "weapon", etc.

Thanks,
Good Guy

I believe that written notice should be entirely appropriate as long as it is done immediately as required.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got chastised by an LEO in Vinita for doing exactly that.

When he approached the vehicle I handed him my CCL and drivers licence. He then asked me if I was carrying. I told him I was and were the weapon was. I apologized & told him I thought that it was implied when I handed him my card. He proceeded to chew my ass. He let me know beyond a shadow of a doubt that me handing him my CCL was not informing him I was carrying.

So now, I hand them the card and promptly tell them that I am carrying and where the weapon is located. Better safe then sorry.

Then he was an anti-gun ass with a control fetish. Sorry, but until they clarify the requirement as to what is the "only" legally acceptable form of notification, the officer who "chews a citizens ass" for presenting the card instead of proclaiming to everyone in earshot that he has a gun is being a jerk and needs to stop. JMO, YMMV

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock makes the same point I would have.

I will tell you from past experience that someone who moves about in the car and is "digging" ( I never understood why people cant keep insurance in the same place and get rid of their old forms or know where the DL is) will make any reasonable LEO pay closer attention. Its what have been and still are what we call "Clues".
Why draw anymore attention than you want?
My personal preferred way as with most officers I know is this:
Hands on the wheel with both ID and your insurance readily available and upon the officers approach the first thing said is " I have my CCW and I am armed. My weapon is located "x""
This will make everything VERY clear and will make most "MOST" officers happy with you.
This is just my humble input about the stop itself. I will not go into 21-1289/90

I carry insurance cards for 4 different vehicles all in the same place my wallet, as far as getting rid of old ones I do it once every couple of years, this habit actually saved me a no insurance ticket hassle in arkansas because like a dummy I forgot to grab the new form when it came in and wound up making an emergency trip to pick up an injured rider and his bike.

The officer saw I had current verifications for all of my vehicles(except the one I was driving) and I had the past 18 months of contiguaous coverage in my posession so he didn't write me on the insurance.

I prefer the notification method you prefer personally, nobody in a vehicle with me is going to be surprised that I have a gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom