Why do you show your CWL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read several reports of people being pulled over by a police officers and handing out their CWL along with their Driver's License.

Why do you do it?

As far as I can tell there is no requirement to ever show anyone your CWL. The only requirement is that it must be on your person when you have a CCW.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read several reports of people being pulled over by a police officers and handing out their CWL along with their Driver's License.

Why do you do it?

As far as I can tell there is no requirement to ever show anyone your CWL. The only requirement is that it must be on your person when you have a CCW.

Ahh because it's the law. Read your booklet again and again, maybe you missed some more stuff that could get you in to trouble. Title 21 1290.8. C

It says A but it's C

[Broken External Image]

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if this was the point the OP was trying to make but I never realized it before now; It really doesn't say you have to show them your license just that you have to notify them you have a gun pursuant to the SDA. Of course, what better way to notify them than hand them your card.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if this was the point the OP was trying to make but I never realized it before now; It really doesn't say you have to show them your license just that you have to notify them you have a gun pursuant to the SDA. Of course, what better way to notify them than hand them your card.

The only 'concern' I have with that is the LEO seeing me digging in my pants looking for my wallet, etc. I really, REALLY don't want to give the wrong impression.

In the past (prior to my license) when I've been pulled over, I roll down the window and put my hands on the wheel, in plain sight, and wait patiently for the LEO to approach. I really don't want to give the LEO a reason to be suspicious, ya know?

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only 'concern' I have with that is the LEO seeing me digging in my pants looking for my wallet, etc. I really, REALLY don't want to give the wrong impression.

In the past (prior to my license) when I've been pulled over, I roll down the window and put my hands on the wheel, in plain sight, and wait patiently for the LEO to approach. I really don't want to give the LEO a reason to be suspicious, ya know?

I agree. I always pull over, turn the car off and place both hands on the steering wheel. I know if I show respect and make the officers job easier, he will be polite back. When he asks for my DL, I always inform him that it's in my back pocket and if I could reach back there and get it or wherever it might be. You would not catch me with my DL and CCW license hanging out the window waiting on him, I think that's rude. Just wait until he approaches my window and then just simply tell him that Im armed and I have a license. If he asks to see it, great, if not that's fine too.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh because it's the law. Read your booklet again and again, maybe you missed some more stuff that could get you in to trouble. Title 21 1290.8. C...

Sigh, please re-read your booklet. "...identify that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun...". Doesn't say anything about presenting your license.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sigh, please re-read your booklet. "...identify that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun...". Doesn't say anything about presenting your license.

Ok maybe I interpreted you question wrong, I'm thinking inform, not present. My bad.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That definitely was one of the discussion points that I figured would be stirred up. Though it could be argued that presenting the CW license does not properly identify that you have a concealed weapon (as required by the SDA) it just indicates that you might have a legally concealed weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom