Why do you show your CWL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been stopped a few times... handed my DL and SDA card out the window... it usually buys a second.. and the officer shuts up long enough so I can *SAY* " I have a permit and a legal gun on".

At that point -- the officers have seemed to have soaked my status in... one has actually *ASKED* where the gun is located...

The first time I got stopped I handed the card out with my DL... never got a word out.... fastest "slow down and have a nice day" on record!

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an LEO, I don't like to see an unknown contact fishing for anything when they're pulled over. If you have your insurance verification clipped to your visor, or immediately within reach in the center console without making any noticeable movement, that's one thing. Reaching into a glove box before the officer can see what you're reaching for is another. He's already on heightened alert before he reaches the car if you do.

You're required to notify you're carrying upon initial contact with the officer, but you must then present your SDA permit (license) upon request. The officer has a reasonable expectation to see it to determine if you're carrying legally or not. Some will ask for it, some will not. It's officer discretion at that point. Handing your SDA pemit to the officer (on top of your DL) is a way to effect the notification and if the officer plays along, may keep others within earshot unaware that you're carrying.

Hope this helps.

First of all, thanks for your input Glock2go. A LEOs opinion is very much appreciated and respected. Even more so for you, because I fear the wrath of BB.

I am definitely going to rethink my normal procedure, but as I indicated I pretty much knew I was trading "suspicion" for "safety", which I hope a LEO would appreciate. For my current vehicles I keep insurance handy in the center console or visor and have no need to dig in the glove box. But I do wiggle around to remove my wallet from my pocket and my DL from my wallet.

I am very curious to know under what authority is a CWL holder is compelled to show their license? From a common sense perspective, it seems that if you have a license for something, you might be obligated to display or present it to some authority. But of course common sense and the law are two different things.

This seems similar to having a drivers license, but when pulled over for a traffic stop I know that I am compelled by state statute to present my license. Though I am not obligated to show my license upon demand at all other times. I am not aware of any law that requires me to present my CWL.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only been stopped a couple of times, no tickets thank God, but I have my license and carry license out the window with both hands before they get to the vehicle.

I'm not a cop, but I'm thinkin' they'd rather see that as they walk up as see me digging around in the floorboard.

A Boswell city cop, after seeing my ID's asked what I was carrying. I told him a .38 Special and a NAA mini. He said "Cool," and started asking all kinds of questions about how I liked the NAA. Turns out he stopped me because a tie down strap had come loose from my wife's wheelchair, which was behind the camper and I couldn't see it.

An OHP stopped me at the Henryetta toll gate, (new construction and I didn't see the stop sign). He didn't even ask me to leave the guns in the car as I went back to his car to get my warning.

So my advice is, have car in park, engine dead, and wallet out the window. Why make it worse on someone who has no idea if he just stopped Average Joe Citizen or Psycho Serial Killer.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't plan on saying it either, but stress, panic, & fear do strange things to people :)

I guess when you are doing something illegal, you should panic. They are people just like we are, doing a job. I guess from working law enforcement and being around police officers, it doesn't bother me at all.

BoomerShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow do people get pulled over so much that they have a ROUTINE?!?!?!

Why not JUST SLOW DOWN?

I agree though that hands on the steering wheel and informing the officer immediately that you have a gun on you and a license to carry is by far the best method.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Why not JUST SLOW DOWN?

I agree though that hands on the steering wheel and informing the officer immediately that you have a gun on you and a license to carry is by far the best method.

I used to a lot, not so much lately.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Why not JUST SLOW DOWN?

Hey now, I respect your life style choice, you need to respect mine. :)

As I mentioned elsewhere I probably have averaged a speeding ticket once every year or two for the last 25+ years. I have slowed down, but mostly drive smarter and less conspicuous cars.

Regardless of how often it happens, it makes sense to have a routine for some situations. I recommend all drivers have a routine for traffic stops for their safety and the officers safety.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wait till he/she is at the window BEFORE I dig for anything. I tell them I have a CCW and I AM armed , then wait for instructions. This is not a time for confusion on their part.:ooh2: I let them controll the situation.

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The law states that "It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes in contact with any law enforcement officer........"

Just presenting him your Oklahoma CWL does not meet these requirements. That just tells him that you have a license. It does not tell him that you have a concealed weapon in your possession. You must verbally inform him that you have a weapon concealed on your person or in your vehicle.

You are not required to present your license unless asked. He may wish to verify that you do have a license and you are carrying the license.

If you look at the back of your license, it states:

"This license must be carried by licensee at all times a concealed weapon is in your possession."

I have heard of instances where the officer making the stop was handed the DL and the CWL at the same time and crawled the driver because he did not verbally inform the officer of the fact that the driver was carrying.

The officer said he might not have noticed the card behind the DL for a while and he wished to be informed, as the law stipulates.

It really is an individual thing with most officers, but I think we should go overboard to be sure they are informed according to the law to prevent misunderstandings.

As a former LEO, a lot of my "misunderstandings" went to jail until they could be sorted out later. Of course they were not such simple things as this, since in my time, if you had a gun you went to jail, period. There was no legal method of concealed carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom