Why I want Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drawing from concealment, the distance is 21'....and I didn't learn that "at the academy". I'm not LEO...but I am an informed citizen. Regardless, who am I to limit the constitutional rights of citizens? What you don't realize is that if you start putting laws in place that regulate citizens....government will ultimately control who and who doesn't get to exercise their RKBA. You don't have the right to decide for others. I don't have the right to say who can, and who can't. If a person is not a felon, then they should be able to carry when and how they deem fit for their situation. Study your history...you will find the government has unjustly infringed on citizen's rights repeatedly. Lastly, why should citizen's be forced to pay a tax (licensing fee) to exercise their RKBA? If you believe this is just, then you must agree that the Cap & Trade legislation will some day tax citizens for their C02 emissions based upon a person's size and weight.

Dude, are you just trying to pick fights with people or what? If you read all of what I wrote, I am all for OC, do we really want everyone in oklahoma to OC? no, but the law-abiding people that choose to do so can, assuming it gets passed. but you have to be able to see the pros and cons, before you can say when it is approitate to OC.

here is a scenerio, lets say you, (and when I say YOU I am not insinuating that you would do this, its only a scenerio) you are in Wal-marts parking lot waiting on a car to back out so you can park. You are about to pull in and another guy whips in and steals your spot. This pisses you off so you tell him how much of an ******* he is, you are probably yelling cause you are upset, and he is yelling back. You are both OC, maybe he is a little intimidated, so now you decide to drop it and go about your business, and you go to reach in towards your pocket, to put your keys up or get your phone. And he thinks you are going for your gun, so he draws, fires, and kills you. Witnesses at wal-mart saw everything, heard the argument, you approached him yelling. He would be able to justify the shooting, he thought his life was in iminate danger. so he goes on with his life. but you are gone, your wife is widowed, and your kids lost their father.

I know this is an extreme, but this kind of thing can and most likely will eventually happen if everyone is so gung ho about carrying a pistol openly

And like I said earlier the scenerio is not saying that this would happen to you personally. but can happen

If OC passes ultimately it will be up to YOU, to decide if it will be beneficial, to carry open or concealed.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, are you just trying to pick fights with people or what? If you read all of what I wrote, I am all for OC, do we really want everyone in oklahoma to OC? no, but the law-abiding people that choose to do so can, assuming it gets passed. but you have to be able to see the pros and cons, before you can say when it is approitate to OC.

here is a scenerio, lets say you, (and when I say YOU I am not insinuating that you would do this, its only a scenerio) you are in Wal-marts parking lot waiting on a car to back out so you can park. You are about to pull in and another guy whips in and steals your spot. This pisses you off so you tell him how much of an ******* he is, you are probably yelling cause you are upset, and he is yelling back. You are both OC, maybe he is a little intimidated, so now you decide to drop it and go about your business, and you go to reach in towards your pocket, to put your keys up or get your phone. And he thinks you are going for your gun, so he draws, fires, and kills you. Witnesses at wal-mart saw everything, heard the argument, you approached him yelling. He would be able to justify the shooting, he thought his life was in iminate danger. so he goes on with his life. but you are gone, your wife is widowed, and your kids lost their father.

I know this is an extreme, but this kind of thing can and most likely will eventually happen if everyone is so gung ho about carrying a pistol openly

And like I said earlier the scenerio is not saying that this would happen to you personally. but can happen

If OC passes ultimately it will be up to YOU, to decide if it will be beneficial, to carry open or concealed.

So how many times have you pulled your concealed weapon and threatened someone with it? How many times has the above or similar scenario happened to you when you wasn't carrying and you had a fist fight? Too many people seem to think that people loose their brain when they strap on a gun. Somehow we become fearless because we can 'kill' somebody. Please! If nothing else, I have become far more calmer and harder to piss off then I used to be. I have been swept up into road rage situations in the past. Since I started carrying, just the opposite. I haven't had an altercation that I enflamed, I have ignored idiots on the road, and if you knew me before, you wouldn't believe it. I now know what these little things can build up too. Not saying I could get mad enough to shoot someone, I'm just saying, I'm not willing to let it get to the point that I have to shoot someone. I have found the saying 'An armed society is a polite society' to be very true.

Most people wouldn't even think of carrying a gun, open or concealed. That won't change much. Sure, you might have a few more do it if it was unlimited and unlicensed. But as a generally rule most won't. I never thought twice about doing it 2years ago. Now I couldn't imagine not carrying. Yes, there is the possibility that some punk could get impulsive, but there is that possibility now. Yes, if he was carrying, the impulse could be acted on quickly enough to escalate too far. If so, that person is severly punished for it. But as I have stated before, thats the price of a free society.

The fact of the matter is, this has not been seen anywhere that OC has been legalized. Or at least there are so few cases, that it is statically a non issue. Who's to say those few times, that it wouldn't have ended up the same with the weapon being a knife or a brick. The fact is, if someone snaps, at least the victim will have a fighting chance if he is carrying, irrespective of his/her age or physical abilities.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I failed to mention last night that I can see where LEO's have concerns, but what are the chances that the criminals will OC and draw attention to themselves? I would suspect that anyone who OC's would be unaccosted by the police unless they have committed a crime of some sort. Then it would default to the same as a felony stop. I've been pulled over under a felony stop, it's no fun, but I understood the reason it was handled the way it was. I hadn't done anything wrong, but the officer didn't know that. Luckily I didn't have a weapon with me at the time. After 45minutes and a trip into Stroud to get the cuffs off, I was on my way with nothing more than cut wrists and a good story. The meat of this post is, I don't think the number of issues that the police is currently imagining will come true. I believe that after a short time of everyone getting used to it, that it will become a non-issue.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, as evident from this blog, everyone can Monday morning quarterback a situation and say "Open Carry is unsafe unless you are a trained professional." I'm not good at arguing with folks hell bent to take away my rights, but I won't ever back down on this right. I encourage others to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough.

How much more liberty and freedom are you willing to give up for safety?

Since I neither confer nor deny rights to anyone, such an obvious swipe is unwarrented unless you are simply trying to be a jerk, which I am beginning to believe.

If you believe my analysis of your post to be "monday morning quarterbacking", I would suggest looking in the mirror first.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drawing from concealment, the distance is 21'....and I didn't learn that "at the academy". I'm not LEO...but I am an informed citizen.

Apparently not informed enough to know that Dennis Tueller did this research from duty holsters, not from concealed, and did not intend to establish a distance from which someone was safe from a knife when armed with a firearm and also has testified in court that this was not the intent of the study nor should that conclusion be extrapolated from it.

You don't know what you don't know when you know everything.

Michael Brown

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. I've been pulled over under a felony stop, it's no fun, but I understood the reason it was handled the way it was. I hadn't done anything wrong, but the officer didn't know that. Luckily I didn't have a weapon with me at the time. After 45minutes and a trip into Stroud to get the cuffs off, I was on my way with nothing more than cut wrists and a good story. The meat of this post is, I don't think the number of issues that the police is currently imagining will come true. I believe that after a short time of everyone getting used to it, that it will become a non-issue.

If a LEO performs a felony stop on you, he must have seen you commit a felony, running from him, hit and run, etc. or have resonable belief that you commited a felony, example, armed robbery and your vechicle matches the description of suspect, and I will have to ask my FTO but I am not even sure if that constitutes a felony stop.

MB am I correct with my statement? either way Jarhead I think we would like to hear about this felony stop where the officer was mistaken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom