Why I want Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate your opinion...but why not let the citizen decide what is best for him/her? I probably wouldn't open carry to the opera...but I should be able to if I chose to do so. I've OC'd in other states without any issues...not even a glance. 43 other states allow open carry.....do you think the citizens of Oklahoma are not as "fit" as citizens of other states? After all....it is our right granted to us by God and conferred by the Constitution to keep and bear arms in pursuit of life, liberty, & happiness. I don't care if you open carry, conceal carry, or choose not to carry at all. Protecting you is not my problem. Protecting me and my family is my concern.

OC if you want. It doesn't matter to me. I don't see the point in it but I also don't see the point in making a honda sound like a weed eater either ya know? Do what you want (if it passes). Give it a few weeks after it passes and no one will even think twice about it. Its your decision to make.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OC if you want. It doesn't matter to me. I don't see the point in it but I also don't see the point in making a honda sound like a weed eater either ya know? Do what you want (if it passes). Give it a few weeks after it passes and no one will even think twice about it. Its your decision to make.

A right un-exercised is a right lost. If OC passes, I will open carry at will. Additionally, I will always champion and support restoration of liberties and freedom. Restricted RKBA isn't my only pet peeve with our government, the most recent change in TSA rules now empower them greater authority to fondle airline passengers at will. Their unconstitutional searching won't keep me from flying, but I will let it be known that I do not appreciate their caress of my private parts.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety- Benjamin Franklin

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again I think you are a total dumbass if you walk into wal-mart, quik trip, chili's or anywhere else like that with a fire arm strapped on your hip. Your just lookin for trouble. I can't think of a time I would even need to OC off hand but I want to be covered in case of accidental exposure.

I wouldn't look at someone OCing in any of those places as "looking for trouble".

Firstly, they'd have to have a permit (assuming the same bill is signed that passed last year), and secondly, even if a criminal somehow obtained a permit, they probably wouldn't have the gaul to OC. It's true that it draws the attention of LEOs, that's obvious. Criminals wouldn't do that.

If I saw someone OCing in those places I'd give them a smile and a nod, and a compliment if he was carrying something special.

It sounds like you're harboring the same irrational thoughts that lead to the "it'll be the wild west all over again" mentality that antis are so crazy with.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't look at someone OCing in any of those places as "looking for trouble".

Firstly, they'd have to have a permit (assuming the same bill is signed that passed last year), and secondly, even if a criminal somehow obtained a permit, they probably wouldn't have the gaul to OC. It's true that it draws the attention of LEOs, that's obvious. Criminals wouldn't do that.

If I saw someone OCing in those places I'd give them a smile and a nod, and a compliment if he was carrying something special.

It sounds like you're harboring the same irrational thoughts that lead to the "it'll be the wild west all over again" mentality that antis are so crazy with.

Good point mh. After giving this some thought, I may have to retract my previous statement of never OC'ing. The problem as I see it. Society is so far past the time when guns were commonplace. Now adays, the only idea about guns that many people have is of criminals and cops who are after them. They don't see the third group, the millions who have guns and are neither of the above. Maybe if I were to OC out in public on occasion this could show the ignorant this third group. Can you imagine, some guy walked into the store with a gun on his hip and bought bread and baby formula. And thats all that happened. He was polite, paid for his merchandize, he even tossled some kids hair who was playing around the candy aisle. That's weird. If this happened often enough, noone would think twice about it.

I know it would draw the eye of the anti's but they hate us anyway. Our problem is that we have become a secret society, hidden from the populace. Shamed into hiding our guns. Yeah, I know, we go shooting, we go to gun shows, but, as a general rule, we don't go where we aren't a visible majority. I'm tired of playing nice, I'm ready to be in their face. After all, it seems to have worked for the gay community. Maybe a catch phrase like 'Grab your socks, I've got a Glock' or 'I'm Limber and I've got a Kimber'. :)

I do believe that I would OC to public places as a political statement. Mind you I still won't OC to the bad parts of town, nor at night when the bad guys do most of their business. I will CC at those times and places, but to the park to walk the dog, no problem I think I will take my pistol out for a little fresh air too.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I posted before I am very much for open carry, if it passes, I will carry open most of the time, but I don't think it should go completely unregulated, if it goes completly unregulated, it would be too easy for the BG's, felon's drug dealers, robbers, to carry their own guns. I don't want OC because it will give me a quicker draw time, like the guy that posted that video with the officer that shot the man with a knife. As a citizen you wouldn't normally be putting yourself close enough to a potentionally dangerious situation where you might get stabbed. And at the academy, we watched alot of videos of slain officers, and I forget the exact number, but it was If someone is running towards you as to attack you and you were within 15 feet from them, they would get to you before you could react and pull your weapon LEO's correct me if my number is wrong or anything you might see fit to add to this.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I posted before I am very much for open carry, if it passes, I will carry open most of the time, but I don't think it should go completely unregulated, if it goes completly unregulated, it would be too easy for the BG's, felon's drug dealers, robbers, to carry their own guns. I don't want OC because it will give me a quicker draw time, like the guy that posted that video with the officer that shot the man with a knife. As a citizen you wouldn't normally be putting yourself close enough to a potentionally dangerious situation where you might get stabbed. And at the academy, we watched alot of videos of slain officers, and I forget the exact number, but it was If someone is running towards you as to attack you and you were within 15 feet from them, they would get to you before you could react and pull your weapon LEO's correct me if my number is wrong or anything you might see fit to add to this.

Drawing from concealment, the distance is 21'....and I didn't learn that "at the academy". I'm not LEO...but I am an informed citizen. Regardless, who am I to limit the constitutional rights of citizens? What you don't realize is that if you start putting laws in place that regulate citizens....government will ultimately control who and who doesn't get to exercise their RKBA. You don't have the right to decide for others. I don't have the right to say who can, and who can't. If a person is not a felon, then they should be able to carry when and how they deem fit for their situation. Study your history...you will find the government has unjustly infringed on citizen's rights repeatedly. Lastly, why should citizen's be forced to pay a tax (licensing fee) to exercise their RKBA? If you believe this is just, then you must agree that the Cap & Trade legislation will some day tax citizens for their C02 emissions based upon a person's size and weight.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...Regardless, who am I to limit the constitutional rights of citizens? What you don't realize is that if you start putting laws in place that regulate citizens....government will ultimately control who and who doesn't get to exercise their RKBA. You don't have the right to decide for others. I don't have the right to say who can, and who can't. If a person is not a felon, then they should be able to carry when and how they deem fit for their situation. Study your history...you will find the government has unjustly infringed on citizen's rights repeatedly. Lastly, why should citizen's be forced to pay a tax (licensing fee) to exercise their RKBA? If you believe this is just, then you must agree that the Cap & Trade legislation will some day tax citizens for their C02 emissions based upon a person's size and weight.

+1, well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom