Why I want Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well it maybe true that most criminals are cowards...however... There are many stories of cops getting their gun taken by said criminal and being shot with it. In fact Nikki Green falls into that category. He was shot with his own pistol after a struggle. So yes it happens.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it maybe true that most criminals are cowards...however... There are many stories of cops getting their gun taken by said criminal and being shot with it. In fact Nikki Green falls into that category. He was shot with his own pistol after a struggle. So yes it happens.

Very true. I'm not saying it never happens. Just trying to point out that law abiding citizens should not be restricted in the way they can protect themselves. I greatly respect police and what they do, but sometimes when seconds count, they might be minutes away. I simply view open carry as another tool for self defense. Hell, i might only openly carry once a year (when and if it's passed that is), but i like having the option.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
*snip*
Personally I would rather see modifications to the current CCW laws and provisions for open carry i.e. hunting, fishing, your own land, accidental exposure, etc. rather than an unrestricted open carry law.
Michael Brown

Myself also.

Personally, I cannot imagine me ever open carrying ... I am not silly enough to think that if someone really wants to disarm me it would be all that difficult given my physical state (old and female :D).

There is a lot to be said for understanding both your own personal strengths and weaknesses ...

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were a criminal I would be lobbying for OC because that would provide a virtually endless source of revenue.

Please provide evidence. You have 43 states to choose from that allow some form of open carry, including Commiefornia, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no proof so far showing up in my searches that openly carrying a gun puts you in any more danger than concealing. In both situations, you have plusses on your side as well as negatives. I agree with the fact that MOST BGs are cowards and they may want your purse or wallet but don't want any bullets flying at them. AND I would venture to say that MOST BGs are not feeling really froggy enough to mess with a man concealing his weapon in plain view. For one, this displays self confidence and strength and BGs don't like to pick on those who might win. They would rather pick on a helpless small old lady than a large strappin dude with a 1911 on his side. Yes, LEOs get killed or shot at with their own guns sometimes BUT they aslo present a larger danger to the BG than i do with a gun strapped on me. When a LEO stops a BG whos participating in illegal activity, the BG turns to fight or flight...every time! When a bad guy sees me in the store hes about to rob, he doesn't know if I am a LEO or John Doe with a gun and he has the choice to LEAVE quietly rather than put himself in a situation with unknown poor results. They are cowards but corner one when hes cooking meth in the car and you now have a different situation on your hands.
I'm certainly no expert and have not had the training some of you have but I have grown up for the past 30 years using and owning guns and i understand safety and general use. I also have a lot of common sense and that puts me ahead of the game too. I will however get training in retention and tactical defense IF OC becomes reality. Will I open carry, not nessecarily but maybe and I also want the choice. I stoped CC long ago when my permit expired because it was just too hard to conceal it with the way i dress. I don't like alot of cloths and in the summer i sport a pair of shorts and a tanktop and flip flops most of the time when not going to work and that just made it too much of a difficult thing for me. My weapon of choice then was a Browning High Power and while not the best conceal gun, i loved it...did i mention it was stolen from my vehicle at the scene of an accident when I left to go to the hospitol...the police and wrecker guys were their when I left and no one knows anything. But I digress.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want open carry not because I would actually do it, but rather for the freedom. I don't like that I could possibly get in trouble for my gun being visible in my own front yard (meaning, I shouldn't have a "good reason" to have to open carry on my land). It's a personal freedom thing.

And I don't think that a citizen open carrying is in any more danger of having their gun snatched than a police officer on duty. Sure, LEOs are more intimidating just because they're cops, but their gun is still right there in the open.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not buy a shirt one size larger?

On me, a large comes right even with the bottom of my belt. An extra large lands about an inch below that. No one notices. I can lift my arms as high as possible and the shirt still remains over my belt. Unless I'm really stretching, even my horizontal spare magazine stays concealed. The only thing that doesn't is the bottom of the holster for my Ka-Bar TDI, but that's not really an issue.

Please provide evidence. You have 43 states to choose from that allow some form of open carry, including Commiefornia, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.

Wow I agree with two of Veggie's posts :ooh2:

Just one mans opinion/observation just because police officers get shot with their own firearms does not mean civilians will. It does not mean they will not either. My point being that the officers who got shot with their own guns were generally shot by a person facing some sort of prison term. If this was such a common thing I am sure there would be way more news coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom