Why I want Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is a pretty interesting topic and I can certainly understand the business owner. But I also think that a good point can be made that they are in fact infringing on the 2nd amendment rights of people also.

2nd amendment is a guarantee against the government, not other people. You don't have the right to assemble on my property unless I say you can, even though the 1st amendment protects your right to peaceably assemble.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all do respect Mr. Brown, you obviously know what's better for the citizens than the citizens do themselves...based upon the 34 other states that allow open carry. Your superior knowledge and ability to react to every situation enforces my need to have a LEO with me at all times. How on earth would I be able to protect myself without one?

Oh, and by the way, straw man is two words, not one.

Dude,

You have no idea how far off base you are. I've known MB personally for over 10 years. I've travelled with him, competed with AND against him. He's one of the good guys. He's also one of the biggest badge wearing proponents of civilians being armed to defend themselves there is. He's highly opinionated because he's highly skilled and trained. He doesn't suffer fools lightly and you're treading quite close to that line.

You can continue your current line of internet commando assault, or you can break contact and regroup. Your choice, but we're ready to break out the :popcorn: if you choose the former! :twocents:

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not trying to challenge MB or anyone, but why is everyone against open carry?? Instead of picking apart every scenario I present, why not get on board with the Constitution and help in the battle to restore RKBA??

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but why is everyone against open carry??

I see very few here against open carry.

Instead of picking apart every scenario I present

There are many more dynamics involved than accessibility.

why not get on board with the Constitution and help in the battle to restore RKBA??

Because carrying a firearm, especially in the open, is a longstanding prohibition which is presumably Constitutional. It is not essential to owning a firearm for purposes of self defense within the home, and therefore not a Right granted by the Second Amendment.

I'm not expressing my view in that paragraph; I'm expressing the view of the Supreme Court and any purported "gun rights" organization that considers Heller and McDonald to be victories, including both the NRA and GOA.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not trying to challenge MB or anyone, but why is everyone against open carry?? Instead of picking apart every scenario I present, why not get on board with the Constitution and help in the battle to restore RKBA??

There are alot of us FOR open carry. I agree with you that not being able to open carry is an infringement on our RKBA. THAT BEING SAID... There are some people on this forum that THINK open carry is a TACTICALLY bad idea. I personally only want it to pass because the way I carry mixed with the Oklahoma wind could cause several problems for me if my shirt blows open. 2nd amendment infringement or not, the law (as it stands now) is still the law and I will do myself or my family absolutely no good whatsoever by sitting in a jail cell for breaking it. Do I think a permit should be REQUIRED to concealed carry? No, that too in my opinion is an infringement on the 2nd. Nevertheless I have gone out and gotten the permit to carry. Just because I have complied with the law does not make me or anyone else not "on board with the Constitution".

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Most of us support open carry. I fully support it and was ticked that it didn't make it. We also remember that just like voting, the RKBA is a right that carries with it responsibilities. Many people vote irresponsibly, which is their right. However, a significant segment of the country is not hell bent on restricting voting rights. All we're saying is that prominently displaying your pistol in inappropriate settings may be your right if OC passes, but that doesn't make it smart or helpful. Likewise, OC is tactically unsound in certain settings, particularly if you're not equipped (LE powers of arrest, body armor, level III retention holster, radio with emergency button) and trained (use of force, custody & control, weapons retention).

It may anger you that cops can carry openly and you currently cannot, but most cops wouldn't open carry off duty if OC passed. They recognize it for what it is; another tool in the toolbox, but perhaps one that best serves a very limited role. After all, you don't reach for an oil filter wrench every time you need to tighten a screw, do you?

If OC is the gun equivalent of an oil filter wrench, consider the cops as equivalent to the grease monkeys at Jiffy Lube! :D

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm with MB and GTG on this. I support it from the standpoint that prohibiting OC is an infringement of the second amendment, and IMHO, that is all that is needed for a reason.

However, I would not OC regularly, nor would I recommend others to do so either. It would have very limited practical application, sometimes it could benefit, while most of the time it would not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom