Why I want Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This video demonstrates the importance of being able to react and draw your weapon quickly.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/police-shot,-kill-a-man-caught-on-tape

If you believe that the speed of draw was the decisive factor in this event, you really need some training not an open carry holster.

In extreme close quarters i.e. 0-5 feet, speed of draw is NOT a decisive factor.

What was not captured by the camera was HOW the officer shot the suspect which was not prior to them going to a clinch and subsequently the ground.

Michael Brown

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are we forgetting the committee?

From what I heard last year talking to representatives about a discharge petition to force a bill to the floor (in particular, ballot access reform), you'll likely have less people sign the petition than vote for it since those petitions effectively bypass the leadership, and you generally want to stay on the leadership's good side.

Isn't Sue Tibbs still going to chair that committee? What about that particular obstacle?

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It doesn't matter,there's more than enough legislators to pass a bill and the new Gov. signs the bill like she said she will.

How many of those reps will change their mind if they know the law will be signed? Many of those yes votes came from members who knew the vote didn't matter because the former Governor was there to veto it.

Michael

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you believe that the speed of draw was the decisive factor in this event, you really need some training not an open carry holster.

In extreme close quarters i.e. 0-5 feet, speed of draw is NOT a decisive factor.

What was not captured by the camera was HOW the officer shot the suspect which was not prior to them going to a clinch and subsequently the ground.

Michael Brown

If "open carry" is not important to winning a fight, then why don't you carry an LCP concealed in your hip pocket, inside coat pocket, under-arm rig, or on your ankle instead of on your hip? Does your paid position to protect and serve the public entitle you to more rights than citizens? 34 other states allow open carry. Why are you against restoring the rights of Oklahoman's to open carry? As for that matter, why do elected officials in Oklahoma not trust their constituents to open carry?

How does the saying go?? Something about the biggest danger to guns is liberals and rust??

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If "open carry" is not important to winning a fight, then why don't you carry an LCP concealed in your hip pocket, inside coat pocket, under-arm rig, or on your ankle instead of on your hip? Does your paid position to protect and serve the public entitle you to more rights than citizens? 34 other states allow open carry. Why are you against restoring the rights of Oklahoman's to open carry? As for that matter, why do elected officials in Oklahoma not trust their constituents to open carry?

How does the saying go?? Something about the biggest danger to guns is liberals and rust??

I am not here do defend Mr. Brown. He can do that much better than I ever could. I think you are missing the point of armed police officers. There are many times you should just walk away before the situation escalates. Police must go from verbal commands to deadly force in a split second. When was the last time you and your CC permit conducted a felony traffic stop? Comparing your rights as a citizen to the the duty of a police officer is just plain silly.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hello Mr. Strawman.

I thought I was discussing a tactical issue that YOU brought up with your first post. Since you have chosen not to intelligently address that issue (which is probably a good idea since your post indicates a less than thorough understanding of the context of criminal assault).

However since you ask, I do not carry an LCP in my pocket in uniform because my department policy mandates uniformed carry of the Glock 22 in a level three retention holster by Safariland.

Our leaders, and I use that term loosely, have decided that is what uniformed police officers will do in this country so as any sworn official does, I follow the mandates of my superiors unless they are illegal.

When I was assigned to a plainclothes assignment I carried the same Glock 22 in a Milt Sparks SS2 concealed, just as I do every day away from work.

I do not carry in any of the methods you mention because they are poor choices for carry so I choose more suitable concealed methods just as you can.

And yes, my paid position does entitle me to do things that under normal circumstances most citizens cannot based upon the RESPONSIBILITIES NOT THE AUTHORITY of my position i.e. not following traffic laws when running lights and siren, serving search warrants, etc.

Under extraordinary circumstances, you can do the same.

Those are not a side benefit of my job but rather a responsibility which can be revoked at any time should I fail to discharge my office.

I have stated my position repeatedly on this forum as to why I think open carry is a bad idea, so if you have not read my position previously I would suggest doing a search among the many open carry threads. I doubt you ask this in order to hear another point of view but rather to advance your own agenda.

I do not oppose open carry on legal grounds but only on tactical grounds.

As far as why elected officials fear open carry (which I don't know that they do or not) but since I am not an elected official I cannot intelligently answer your question.

Michael Brown

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello Mr. Strawman.

I thought I was discussing a tactical issue that YOU brought up with your first post. Since you have chosen not to intelligently address that issue (which is probably a good idea since your post indicates a less than thorough understanding of the context of criminal assault).

However since you ask, I do not carry an LCP in my pocket in uniform because my department policy mandates uniformed carry of the Glock 22 in a level three retention holster by Safariland.

Our leaders, and I use that term loosely, have decided that is what uniformed police officers will do in this country so as any sworn official does, I follow the mandates of my superiors unless they are illegal.

When I was assigned to a plainclothes assignment I carried the same Glock 22 in a Milt Sparks SS2 concealed, just as I do every day away from work.

I do not carry in any of the methods you mention because they are poor choices for carry so I choose more suitable concealed methods just as you can.

And yes, my paid position does entitle me to do things that under normal circumstances most citizens cannot based upon the RESPONSIBILITIES NOT THE AUTHORITY of my position i.e. not following traffic laws when running lights and siren, serving search warrants, etc.

Under extraordinary circumstances, you can do the same.

Those are not a side benefit of my job but rather a responsibility which can be revoked at any time should I fail to discharge my office.

I have stated my position repeatedly on this forum as to why I think open carry is a bad idea, so if you have not read my position previously I would suggest doing a search among the many open carry threads. I doubt you ask this in order to hear another point of view but rather to advance your own agenda.

I do not oppose open carry on legal grounds but only on tactical grounds.

As far as why elected officials fear open carry (which I don't know that they do or not) but since I am not an elected official I cannot intelligently answer your question.

Michael Brown

With all do respect Mr. Brown, you obviously know what's better for the citizens than the citizens do themselves...based upon the 34 other states that allow open carry. Your superior knowledge and ability to react to every situation enforces my need to have a LEO with me at all times. How on earth would I be able to protect myself without one?

Oh, and by the way, straw man is two words, not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom