Why I want Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for open carry and for one reason only. I want it as an extra tool in my toolbox. No weapon can be 100% concealed at all times unless its a pocket pistol IMO. Lets say i'm at wal-mart and the wife wants an item on the top shelf, towards the back. When I reach up for that item, my shirt tail also raises, therefore exposing my firearm. I currently have to hold my shirt down with one hand and grab with the other. With OC I could just grab the item, fix my shirt when i'm done and continue on. Its just a little more protection for me, legal wise.

I personally think if billy bob wants to strap his 1911 on his hip and walk into wal-mart then he should be able to. I think its an idiotic arrogant move to do that but if he wants to go for it. I'll never openly carry like that but thats my personal choice.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for open carry and for one reason only. I want it as an extra tool in my toolbox. No weapon can be 100% concealed at all times unless its a pocket pistol IMO. Lets say i'm at wal-mart and the wife wants an item on the top shelf, towards the back. When I reach up for that item, my shirt tail also raises, therefore exposing my firearm. I currently have to hold my shirt down with one hand and grab with the other. With OC I could just grab the item, fix my shirt when i'm done and continue on. Its just a little more protection for me, legal wise.

I personally think if billy bob wants to strap his 1911 on his hip and walk into wal-mart then he should be able to. I think its an idiotic arrogant move to do that but if he wants to go for it. I'll never openly carry like that but thats my personal choice.

Why not buy a shirt one size larger?

On me, a large comes right even with the bottom of my belt. An extra large lands about an inch below that. No one notices. I can lift my arms as high as possible and the shirt still remains over my belt. Unless I'm really stretching, even my horizontal spare magazine stays concealed. The only thing that doesn't is the bottom of the holster for my Ka-Bar TDI, but that's not really an issue.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not buy a shirt one size larger?

On me, a large comes right even with the bottom of my belt. An extra large lands about an inch below that. No one notices. I can lift my arms as high as possible and the shirt still remains over my belt. Unless I'm really stretching, even my horizontal spare magazine stays concealed. The only thing that doesn't is the bottom of the holster for my Ka-Bar TDI, but that's not really an issue.

I'm shaped very weird. A large fits me perfect but an extra large looks like a dress on me. That scenario doesn't happen to me very often either. I don't think its worth buying an entire new wardrope for occasionally having to grab a top shelf item. Plus its starting to cool off now which means jackets/coats/hoodies 90% of the time. If OC passes great, if it never gets brought up in our state congress, oh well. Its not gonna bother me either way. I'm a fairly new CCL holder but so far staying concealed is not an issue.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not trying to challenge MB or anyone, but why is everyone against open carry?? Instead of picking apart every scenario I present, why not get on board with the Constitution and help in the battle to restore RKBA??

Your confrontational posts would indicate otherwise.

Let us remember that you posted this video as a good reason to support open carry.

I pointed out that it is NOT a good reason to support open carry.

In the sections that I moderate, I will not allow a post to go unaddressed when there are serious tactical flaws since a number of people come here to try to get good information on personal protection.

Personally I would rather see modifications to the current CCW laws and provisions for open carry i.e. hunting, fishing, your own land, accidental exposure, etc. rather than an unrestricted open carry law.

Michael Brown

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know better than to argue a lot of things with a lot of people - when some people talk I shut up and listen. Mike Brown is definitely one of those people.

I support OC in the sense that if I want to do it I feel I should have the right or freedom and sometimes I hate dressing around my weapon. I'm not a little bitty guy but I'm not exactly a big guy either.

I agree that overall not the best strategic or tactical concept I am more worried about being able to throw on say a belt slide holster a jacket over top and go and not worry if I need to take my jacket off or if I show the weapon. Especially as most of the jackets I own might go to the bottom of my belt

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

This is exactly the reason many cops and citizens alike are against open carry. Billy Bob wants to show everyone how cool he is by carrying a bunch of bling around. And whether he is or not it sure looks like hes spoilin for a gunfight. Again Im not against open carry...but when you see this jack ass walking into Wal-Mart it makes you wonder.The way to win this fight is a little bit of forethought.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My take on the whole matter is the same that has been expressed in previous posts, most recently MB's post above mine (although maybe for slightly different reasons.)

I personally find that open carry is one of those things that has such limited advantage to the good guys that it inherantly comes with more baggage than it does good. For example, there are many people who will talk about how it allows for quick reaction to a situation, and I will respond like many more, that the advantage is only if the approaching BG doesn't change his tactics to compensate for you advertising your form of defense.

If I were a criminal I would be lobbying for OC because that would provide a virtually endless source of revenue. Wait till someone isn't looking and then take their gun AND their money and valuables. I think that modifying the existing laws to allow for "oopsey moments in walmart" and things like that are the way to go.

And while I do respect the Constitution, I do recognize that the practicality of the Constitution can vary somewhat from the time it was written to the current day. And no matter what the current paradigm of thought, we as law abiding citizens must strive to uphold it. Although I think that CC should be without question, I got my permit. Although I think OC should be legal, I don't do it.

And I can, in some ways, understand that there are good reasons that EVERYONE BY DEFAULT has the ability to carry. There are people I know with guns that I think are human duds and they terrify me. I think that in some ways the laws are necessary to ensure that people have some degree of competency and training. Or even an IDEA about safety. Because I would think that Billy Bob walking into Walmart would be on an entirely different plane than people like us who have invested lots of time in training, learning and practice.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In extreme close quarters i.e. 0-5 feet, speed of draw is NOT a decisive factor.

Furthermore, I think we can agree that RETENTION is. And also not being a conspicuous target by walking around with a holstered firearm in plain view. And as you say, Open Carry does not do much to enhance those two points.

I am with you. I support open carry as a movement, as a right, as something that needs changed in Oklahoma. But I don't support it as a viable way for the average armed citizen to carry. And (I know some here may disagree), there are many more topics I have a focus on in state politics than Open Carry; it's just not a top priority to me right now.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing that people are pointing out is "the bad guy will see your gun and grab it then rob you" as a reason to not have open carry. I'll try and look the story(s) up, but I have read several reports about criminals seeing someone open carrying in a place they were planning on robbing and decide not to because of those guys. I can't think of the number, and this is not a sarcastic question, how many states already have open carry? Also, since they have open carry, how many times have people had their weapons taken and were robbed with their own gun? It pretty much does not happen because criminals, for the majority, are cowards. Granted, it may not be the best "tactical" move at times, but at others it might be. Every situation is different. The true arguement over open carry needs not to be over "tactics", it needs to be about not letting the government restrict the ways we are allowed to protect ourselves. Just my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom