Why the rush on Monarch .223?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last couple weeks when I stop by Academy for whatever reason, I think to myself "might as well grab a box for the range while I'm here". However, the shelf is empty of Monarch .223, they did have some boattail one time, but I was looking for the soft point. I asked the guy at the counter once, I said I'm looking for Monarch .223 soft point and all I see out there is the boat tail, do you have it somewhere else out here or are you just out of it? He said that boat tail is pretty much all we ever get. He wasn't any help so I let with nothing. So is there a run Monarch .223?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boat tail refers to the tail or butt of the bullet and soft point refers to the other end of the bullet. Not sure what you see at Academy, because you can get boat tail bullets with different "tip" styles of bullets.
Boat tail hollow point
Boat tail soft point
Boat tail ballistic tips etc.

Last edited:

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do still have some of the more expensive ammo, but all I really do is target practice with my AR and the cheap Monarch always shots great thru it. I guess I should check into buying bulk ammo online.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy most of my ammo from Academy on the NW Expressway. My ARs have no objection to cheap or fancy ammo. I can sure live with $6.99 in this day and age.

Latest posts

Top Bottom