Why would you want a safety on your handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 Zaphod and some of the best safeties in the world are not having one in the chamber and not having an appendage placed on the trigger.

IMHO a safety adds another working part to a device that we may have to use to defend the lives of ourselves and others. If that part should fail, how safe are we?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe it has to do with mentality stages. "Safety on a handgun" stage is between anti-gun (guns are bad) and proficiency (guns are a tool). In this stage you treat all guns like hunting guns - must be kept on safe till pointed at something that you want to kill. We must be very gentle with people in that stage. With proficiency comes realization what guns should have manual safety and what guns shouldn't - being a know-it-all from a high-horse will not prove anything. I know lots of people that should have manual safety and 10lb trigger pull on their handguns.

P.S. "Booger hook on the bang button" sounds good - but there are lots of other negligent instances when firearm goes off without finger in the trigger guard - you get careless and accident will happen sooner or later.

HumanVr4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow I guess I'm one of the few that like thumb safety, every gun I look at has to have a thumb safety, it's one of the main reasons I don't own a Glock.
It just might be something I have become accustom to since my first 3 handguns have had them 92fs, px4 storm and then a 1911.

Maybe I'll grow out of it someday, and if not, to each and their own then.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My glocks have a safety.

ForumRunner_20130630_185459.jpg

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow I guess I'm one of the few that like thumb safety, every gun I look at has to have a thumb safety, it's one of the main reasons I don't own a Glock.
It just might be something I have become accustom to since my first 3 handguns have had them 92fs, px4 storm and then a 1911.

Maybe I'll grow out of it someday, and if not, to each and their own then.

Do you feel that the safety makes the gun safer to carry?

Latest posts

Top Bottom