Why would you want a safety on your handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer safeties on my guns for those one in a million times when something happens you didn't expect or plan for. I've seen several negligent discharges by people who swear the only safety you need is between your ears. My first duty gun was a S&W 59 and I went through the academy firearms without a single safety problem. I've never had a problem flipping the lever off during the draw. There really is no reason not to have one since there's no down side and always an upside. It's funny because I've personally known three "gun guys" (two that were LEO's) that were part of the "only safety you need is a brain and a finger" club that not only had negligent discharges but shot THEMSELVES doing it. To this day if you bring up "the only safety you need..." subject they will have episodes. They said the same things I'm reading here and proved that even a highly trained and well disciplined gun owner can make a mistake.

I love my Glock 21 but I do not like a safety that is mounted on a trigger. Every negligent discharge I've witnessed was the result of a finger or something else pulling the trigger. Putting a safety on the trigger doesn't do a thing to mitigate discharge caused by the trigger being pulled. Its why my Glocks all stay in the holster, covering the trigger, when not being shot, personally I think Glock should have put a grip safety on their guns too. I like having that disconnect that ensures, if a finger or a stick or a string or anything pulls that trigger when it's not supposed to be pulled, I'm not going to have a bullet flying out and all the dangers that entails. If someone else is comfortable with the risk that's fine too, it's their choice but saying the only safety needed is your brain is living in denial. It may be all you need most of the time but that one time out of a million when someone is accidentally injured or killed proves its not "all you need".

No offense, but LEO's aren't exactly what I would call well trained in firearms safety, most of them never touch their weapons for anything other than an armrest and annual qualifying.

Quality carry holsters cover the trigger negating the need for a manual safety.

Saying that anything other than your brain can keep you from discharging your firearm negligently is living in denial.

Discipline and respect for safety are all that one needs to keep from negligently discharging their firearm.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense, but LEO's aren't exactly what I would call well trained in firearms safety, most of them never touch their weapons for anything other than an armrest and annual qualifying.

Quality carry holsters cover the trigger negating the need for a manual safety.

Saying that anything other than your brain can keep you from discharging your firearm negligently is living in denial.

Discipline and respect for safety are all that one needs to keep from negligently discharging their firearm.

I would also take a gander that it was discharge while cleaning the weapon. . . glock -- open slide, alter takedown lever, drop slide, remove magazine, squeeze trigger, BANG.

It happens a lot and is one of the major bad things about glock that I dislike. They are forcing users to do what is considered a no no to clean the weapon.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also take a gander that it was discharge while cleaning the weapon. . . glock -- open slide, alter takedown lever, drop slide, remove magazine, squeeze trigger, BANG.

It happens a lot and is one of the major bad things about glock that I dislike. They are forcing users to do what is considered a no no to clean the weapon.

Can you show us the data to back up "it happens a lot"?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Open slide, inspect chamber, verify chamber is empty, disassemble.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a safeties on mine because I feel better about it when holstering the weapon. As soon as the weapon is in the holster safety is off. But I do have a fear of shooting myself in the leg during holstering.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Manual safeties are irritating. I get sick of the safety on my 2011 all the time, even though I never have issues with it. I'm consistently being drawn back to the Glock, though, and one of the reasons is there's no manual safety. No extra operation, and nothing forcing you to have a thumb up so high. I like my thumbs forward grip to be more natural.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I for the life of me can not find the information I had looked up a while back, but by it happens a lot, I meant it was listed as one of the most common reasons for a negligent or accidental discharge of a glock.

One instance I did find is http://www.centralkitsapreporter.com/news/198813741.html on march 18th of this year. And a letter posted here http://www.firearmsid.com/a_UnintendedGlockDischarge.htm

I believe it was third on the list of stats when on the page I was reading and was something like 25% of the negligent discharges listed.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The assumption that a manual safety would somehow prevent a negligent discharge also assumes that a person with a manual safety on the firearm would actually be using it the first place.

As a side note, I have to agree with S4F on LEO firearms training. During a particular steel challenge, I watched an ATF agent load no less than 3 magazines, both loaded well beyond division capacity, into her Glock on Outer Limits. The second incident during this steel challenge, was another ATF agent managed to load a .40 SW into his new 1911 and fire the gun. For the life of me, I don't know how he wasn't DQ'd. Most of the LEO's I have had the pleasure to compete with are stand up and well trained individuals, but certainly not all of them.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it should not be this way, but.....I feel way more comfortable handling my pistols that don't have safeties(read Striker Fired) than I do handling my pistols that do have safeties(read 1911). Maybe confident is the word. I am pretty damn sure if something should happen and I dropped my M&P it would take a heck of an miracle for it to discharge. With a 1911, you drop it with the safety off and all is that holding the fully cocked hammer is a sear that is tuned to let go at 3.5 pounds of force?????? I feel like there is a better chance than not that it is going to discharge.

This could be because of my lack of training also. I am by no means a professionally trained operator. I am just not as comfortable with the SA pistols as I am a striker fired pistol. My first pistol was a striker fired pistol I bought the week I turned 18.

Latest posts

Top Bottom