Why would you want a safety on your handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer safeties on my guns for those one in a million times when something happens you didn't expect or plan for. I've seen several negligent discharges by people who swear the only safety you need is between your ears. My first duty gun was a S&W 59 and I went through the academy firearms without a single safety problem. I've never had a problem flipping the lever off during the draw. There really is no reason not to have one since there's no down side and always an upside. It's funny because I've personally known three "gun guys" (two that were LEO's) that were part of the "only safety you need is a brain and a finger" club that not only had negligent discharges but shot THEMSELVES doing it. To this day if you bring up "the only safety you need..." subject they will have episodes. They said the same things I'm reading here and proved that even a highly trained and well disciplined gun owner can make a mistake.

I love my Glock 21 but I do not like a safety that is mounted on a trigger. Every negligent discharge I've witnessed was the result of a finger or something else pulling the trigger. Putting a safety on the trigger doesn't do a thing to mitigate discharge caused by the trigger being pulled. Its why my Glocks all stay in the holster, covering the trigger, when not being shot, personally I think Glock should have put a grip safety on their guns too. I like having that disconnect that ensures, if a finger or a stick or a string or anything pulls that trigger when it's not supposed to be pulled, I'm not going to have a bullet flying out and all the dangers that entails. If someone else is comfortable with the risk that's fine too, it's their choice but saying the only safety needed is your brain is living in denial. It may be all you need most of the time but that one time out of a million when someone is accidentally injured or killed proves its not "all you need".

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet there is just as many AD injuries with guns that have a safety as there are injuries with guns that don't have a safety. It's a personal choice if you want one or not.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet there is just as many AD injuries with guns that have a safety as there are injuries with guns that don't have a safety. It's a personal choice if you want one or not.
I'd think there are probably more ADs from guns with safeties ... "I thought the safety was on" isn't far from "I didn't think it was loaded" after all. IMHO eliminating them from the equation removes a potential source of complacency and causes the shooter to learn to be and stay more aware that his (or her) own action is the most important safety factor in the operation of any firearm.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree Sanford. . . if a weapon has a safety on it because a person is not able to properly handle it should they have it at any point anyway?

I understand that accidental discharges can happen. . . it can be equally as easy with a safety as without. And that is why you have to follow the rules of handling a weapon.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd think there are probably more ADs from guns with safeties ... "I thought the safety was on" isn't far from "I didn't think it was loaded" after all. IMHO eliminating them from the equation removes a potential source of complacency and causes the shooter to learn to be and stay more aware that his (or her) own action is the most important safety factor in the operation of any firearm.

Great point. A lot of people think without a safety the gun could "just go off"
If carried and handled properly it will not be an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom