Why would you want a safety on your handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I for the life of me can not find the information I had looked up a while back, but by it happens a lot, I meant it was listed as one of the most common reasons for a negligent or accidental discharge of a glock.

One instance I did find is http://www.centralkitsapreporter.com/news/198813741.html on march 18th of this year. And a letter posted here http://www.firearmsid.com/a_UnintendedGlockDischarge.htm

I believe it was third on the list of stats when on the page I was reading and was something like 25% of the negligent discharges listed.

This is not a lot, and still not the fault of the gun. Can you post actual stats, not a story and an anonymous letter? Not trying to give you a hard time, but you are giving your opinions that are not based on facts.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also take a gander that it was discharge while cleaning the weapon. . . glock -- open slide, alter takedown lever, drop slide, remove magazine, squeeze trigger, BANG.

It happens a lot and is one of the major bad things about glock that I dislike. They are forcing users to do what is considered a no no to clean the weapon.

This is why people become stats with striker fired guns. Look at the order of op here. Remember the DEA agent? I would suggest a different manual of arms. Drop the frickin' mag first.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know. I have a friend who carries his glock 36 chamber empty. He thinks he is fast enough to rack the slide while drawing. I cannot sway his thought process.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know. I have a friend who carries his glock 36 chamber empty. He thinks he is fast enough to rack the slide while drawing. I cannot sway his thought process.

....because we all know that 99.9% of attacks will happen so fast we would never have time to rack a slide. I can't believe we even holster our guns.

Coz

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a safety on my pistol because the 1907 U.S. Army's Cavalry Board required one on the semi-automatic pistols they were testing. I have found that in the last 100 years, a modicum of training allows one to disengage it with alacrity under stress. It isn't like this is a new phenomenon and is a complete non sequitur in discussions on defensive firearms. This is akin to asking why anyone would want a sight on their pistol.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a safety on my pistol because the 1907 U.S. Army's Cavalry Board required one on the semi-automatic pistols they were testing. I have found that in the last 100 years, a modicum of training allows one to disengage it with alacrity under stress. It isn't like this is a new phenomenon and is a complete non sequitur in discussions on defensive firearms. This is akin to asking why anyone would want a sight on their pistol.

I think this is all relative to the design of the pistol. The original model ruger Blackhawks should be carried with hammer over an empty chamber. This is. It requirement of the new models with a transfer bar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom