Why would you want a safety on your handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonah7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any striker-fired pistol has to be dry fired before you can remove the slide. It's not just Glocks. For Pete's sake, just take out the mag, rack the slide and inspect the chamber before you clean it. It's not rocket science.

I prefer a DA/SA without a manual safety for carry purposes. It's the right combo of "ready-when-I-need-it" and "won't-go-bang-until-I-tell-it-to".

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Checking to make sure a gun is clear before cleaning should happen every time no matter what brand it is. This should be done and then having to pull the trigger to break it down does not matter. Perform all safety checks and you won't get an AD.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any striker-fired pistol has to be dry fired before you can remove the slide. It's not just Glocks. For Pete's sake, just take out the mag, rack the slide and inspect the chamber before you clean it. It's not rocket science.

I prefer a DA/SA without a manual safety for carry purposes. It's the right combo of "ready-when-I-need-it" and "won't-go-bang-until-I-tell-it-to".

M&Ps do not. But you should still drop the mag and clear it.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the Manual Safety camp. I grew up bird hunting and was taught that guns go on safe when not firing and are taken off when just before. So, it's somewhat natural for me now to manipulate a safety before firing.

I still take my AR off of fire when not shooting as well as any other long gun.

For my CCW I prefer to load, decock, put on safe, holster then put on fire. The main reasons I like manual safeties are for handling before and after holstering and while teaching others to shoot.
I get that many people like guns without but that's why there are so many varieties!

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to have a manual safety, I was raised on 1911's. I started shooting my Dads when I was 8 or 9, he bought me my own when I was 12. I was an Army MP before the switch to the Beretta. I'm a "locked and cocked" guy, if there is no safety to manipulate as the pistol comes out of the holster I get confused! I carry my SA/DA pistols such as my FNX-9 cocked and locked.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see a lot of people making comments about handguns not having a safety, other than a 1911 I cannot comprehend why anyone would want such a device on their handgun.

If it is strictly a range gun, such as my Ruger Mark 3, then it allows me to instruct students as to the use of a safety and adds one more level of safety when I teach people new to shooting.

My M&P Pro carry gun has no safety, outside of the trigger safety.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a M&P 45 compact on those days I don't have a 1911 on me and it does have the manual safety so I have the same platform. But, a manual safety is superfluous on a striker gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom