Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a case where we traded off a vehicle and a few months later, we got a letter from some place. Wasn't law enforcement or anything related to the state, but the letter chastised us for throwing a lit cigarette out of the vehicle. We responded to the letter telling them the vehicle had been traded and even if it was still ours, not one of us smoked cigarettes.

Evidently whoever saw the thrown cigarette took down the tag number.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold a car years ago and we had title notarized. Months later ,got a call from insurance co. talking about a wreck involving my car. Told them I sold it on the date of sale. Guy that bought it never transferred title. Was still in my name.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold a car with 6+ months left on the tag. The girl who bought it blew through a bunch of toll gates and I got the damn bill! I contested it and didn't have to pay but I was pretty much guilty until proven innocent.

I think this is a great idea. If people can't afford the tag or insurance they have no business on the road.

While we're at it, I wonder if bald tires and no inspections are why every single time it rains I see cars hit the cable barriers on HWY 412
We sold my Mom's car to a guy in Dallas at the estate sale. We got a bill of over $300 for toll roads a month or so later.
We had to exchange some paperwork with their toll folks, but they wrote it off and we paid nothing.

Last edited:

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^This. The form is at the bottom of every Oklahoma title and the car’s VIN is preprinted on it. Just tear it off at the perforations, fill out the info of who you sold the vehicle to, and take it to any tag agent to be filed instantly with the OTC. You don’t even have to have the purchaser sign the form. Cost is $10, but it will save you lots of grief in dealing with PikePass when the new owner of your vehicle starts blowing through the PikePass lanes.

This is good advice. In arkansas the owner keeps their plate. A few years ago I did a straight across trade with a guy for a mustang and he kept his plate. I took the one off my truck we had traded for and was able to make it home with no issues thank god.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Auto titles now have a form you can use to show that you sold the car. IIRC it is a $10 fee to file it.

I think all that does is keep them from renewing the tag without transferring. It's still a good Idea because you can use it and the date to prove it was sold. What I mean is that until they actually transfer the title on their end, it's still registered to you even though you submitted the form. I did that form and still got the bill I listed above but it's also how I had the name of the owner. The tag agency also had a form I used to find out who currently owned and where it was which I gave to OTA to get out of paying the turnpike fees that weren't mine. All this was in 2013/2014 so it's possible there have been some changes.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. My buddy was in the National Guard, and got called up to that riot. He still talks about going through there after it was over and all the destruction.
My dad was the one dropping the tear gas out the Huey in that deal. I was just a kid, so I don't remember, but if there was more than one dropping, dad was one of them. He got some chemical burns on his forearms from charging the canisters too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom