Wife is wanting to get into shooting, start with rifle or pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyabolical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So after many weeks of watching Top Shot and many other shooting shows, she has decided she wants to get into the shooting sports. She also wants to learn home defense.

So where should i start her off? Pistol or rifle?

And is 4.5 years old too young to start my boy off with a crickett rifle?

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So after many weeks of watching Top Shot and many other shooting shows, she has decided she wants to get into the shooting sports. She also wants to learn home defense.

So where should i start her off? Pistol or rifle?

And is 4.5 years old too young to start my boy off with a crickett rifle?

I bought my son a Crickett at 5 years old. As long as he will listen to you, he is ready. IMO. I would start the wife with a good 22 pistol, or maybe a 10-22 Ruger rifle. Both are fun and easy to shoot. If you get her started, she will like it.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd start with a .22 rifle. They're easy to handle, usually quite accurate and inexpensive so you can afford to practice plenty without breaking the bank. Learning to use iron sights on a rifle translates perfectly well to pistols and they can build their confidence easier with the rifle. If the wife is small, you could start them both off with the Crickett. As far as the age of your son, it's going to vary with individual personalities. You'll have to make the call whether he is mature, responsible and attentive enough to handle a firearm yet. Never forget even a little .22 can cause a lot of damage or even death.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Marlin 60 or 10/22.. My wife has the most fun with 22 rifles because she can hit stuff. Blowing up cheap pop cans and she especially loves shooting toys. Friend of ours buys all kinds of small toys at garage sales and we both get a real kick out of watching a 60 year old lady act like a kid blowing up toys. She shoots her Beretta Tomcat just to stay in practice with her carry gun but her passion is blowing away toys with a 22.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I liked shooting pistols (still do) more than rifle shooting so ...

But now that everybody had given you their opinion **nannynannybooboo** I say go ask her what she wants to shoot first ... GC started me on 9mm but if I had it to do over again I would say regardless of the platform she chooses start with .22

I've seen kids as young as 3 shooting at the range. It all depends on the kiddo. And just from experience (watching others with their crews) I would say take your wife first and get her comfortable and then you both take the little ones. Generally speaking, young kids are a LOT safer at the range than some grown up (who should know better) but you cannot be too careful.

Be prepared to be outshot ... lol And HAVE FUN!

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Cricket will be fine for the youngster, but your wife will probably get bored with that in short order. I would suggest a 10/22 in a Tapco or any other stock with an adjustable butt stock, you can upgrade the rifle as she improves. For a pistol, Ruger, Buckmark, or S&W are all great choices with a fairly low entry expense.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Cricket will be fine for the youngster, but your wife will probably get bored with that in short order. I would suggest a 10/22 in a Tapco or any other stock with an adjustable butt stock, you can upgrade the rifle as she improves. For a pistol, Ruger, Buckmark, or S&W are all great choices with a fairly low entry expense.

HEY!! Are you saying I'm simple minded??!?!?!? I like shooting those little Crickets ... fits my short, stubby little arms! haha!

Latest posts

Top Bottom