Wife is wanting to get into shooting, start with rifle or pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If ya got a kid and you want to teach them to shoot then a cricket rifle if most likely in your future. What I was getting at was going ahead and getting one and letting the wifey shoot it. Yea she'll probably get tired of it rather quickly but a nice slow single shot rifle is a great place to get the fundamentals especially if ya go t a kiddo to hand it down to.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would probably ask your wife what platform she wants to shoot. Handgun will likely transition her into HD better but, she may choose rifle just because.

As for the child's .22, I would personally skip the cricket and jump right into a Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22. Plus you the adults, you and your wife can shoot it too. Its bolt action and not a repeater like the 10/22 so you can still have a slow controlled rate of fire vs the natural desire to empty the mag like they do on TV. Heck, I want a 22. So I think in terms of longevity and overall spend a 22 rifle should be bought either way.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more really fun rifle to consider would be a Henry Lever Action....everybody loves a lever gun, should be able to find one for less than $250. Other than that, every gun mentioned above can be found at Academy or any full line gun shop such as Medlock's in Collinsville. If your local Wal Mart sells firearms you can probably p/u a 10/22 there.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I saw the price of a cricket years ago, I got the Ruger 10/22 for my daughter. If the young one is learning to shoot, I bet you start him out on a bench shooting, I'd go ahead and get a "bigger" 22 rifle. They will grow into it and shoot it for the rest of their life.

Coache27

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to agree on the Ruger 10/22. My wife loves
auto's. Especially, "her" Ar-15 I bought. Get her some
steel targets and maybe fill up some water bottles for
her to blow up to start out with. Both my daughter and
wife get bored punchin paper.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to disagree with 'Ask her what she wants to shoot'. You have the knowledge- use it. With a .22 a woman can concentrate on the basics you are teaching her without being overly concerned with recoil and noise.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After she's comfortable with the rifle(.22lr) work her into pistols/revolvers in .22lr. Even if she wants to not go any further. a 10 shot MKIII or 22/45MKIII is still better than 911 anyday. I for one wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of 10+ .22lr stingers. Even in rapid fire all rounds will probably hit center of mass. Its going to make for a very bad day for Mr. BG!!!

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Encouraging a first-timer to participate in choosing what they'll shoot makes a lot of sense. You're the guide, but it'll be their gun. A pistol is a lot more versatile in where and when you can shoot.

4.5 years old? Who knows. It depends on the kid, the parent and the circumstances. I started my two out at 8 and 12 and felt that those ages for those kids were just right. If I lived in the country and could shoot off my back porch I probably would have started them out earlier.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I like what LDP says. However... you could... just buy both! And then let her decide which one she prefers.

However, I would encourage the rifle, because although they *look* bigger, they are easier to hit with; and for a new shooter, hitting a target is the best encouragement there is. If they go out and never hit what they're aiming for, it's very discouraging. Another suggestion, get those big "shoot 'n see" targets, that start black, and turn yellow or orange when hit, it's easy to see where you're hitting that way. Also, don't start out at 25yds, start closer in, where they *will* be able to hit the target, and work out from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom