Wife is wanting to get into shooting, start with rifle or pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I started my wife with a Ruger 10/22. Plastic stock, carbon fiber tapered barrel, and red dot scope. Ultra light. She really enjoys this set up.

dyabolical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I will just go with the 10/22. That way we all will have something we can share since money is tight due to us expecting our third offspring in August. It is gonna be our first girl.

Yeah, this is gonna be interesting.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I will just go with the 10/22. That way we all will have something we can share since money is tight due to us expecting our third offspring in August. It is gonna be our first girl.

Yeah, this is gonna be interesting.

Depending on your wifes heigth an length of pull( Distance from center palm to inside elbow) Ruger makes a youth model 10/22 which would also work for your daughter. Having three 10/22's here, the youth model was my son's first, and he has out grown it, and is now shooting my standard. The youth model went to my daughter.

This is the size difference of a standard and youth model.
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN0473.jpg

Get the shoot-n-see targets, and look into getting yourself a steel popper tree, instant feed back makes it alot easier on the new shooter, and more fun for them.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rifle, have been going through same delima with girlfriend, tried 38, nope, 9mm nope, several other guns just didn't fit her and the noise was a bigger factor than I thought. Pulled out an old remington 522, she hit 15 targets in a row! Talk about a confidence builder, she's bragging to her friends how well she can shoot, and always asking when are we going again.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just went through this with my wife who just came down from Canada. She'd never fired a handgun before and Thursday was her first day to shoot. I started her out on my Ruger Single Six (.22LR). Her first shot was within an inch of the bullseye. After shooting that a while she wanted to shoot the new Charter Arms "Pink Lady" (.38Spl) I had bought for her some time ago which has sat unused in my gunsafe until she came here for good. After 15 rounds she had enough of it. Too much recoil for her she said. Her shots were spread out as well. She then tried my Ruger 22/45 and enjoyed the semi-auto feature of it and that she was consistently shooting tight groups. She also shot my 10/22 but preferred shooting the handguns.

Later that evening she was looking around online and found a picture of a Buck Mark and asked my opinion of it. I told her I had no experience with them but heard they were fine weapons. Yesterday morning we went down to H&H where she handled about a dozen different types of .22 semis... the Beretta Neos, Smith & Wesson 22A, Walther P22 & SP22, Ruger MkIII's and Buck Marks.

She walked out with a new Buck Mark URX...

[Broken External Image]

An hour later we were down at the range with my 22/45 and the Buck Mark where she could shoot them both side by side. In the end she feels she made a good choice with the Buck Mark, enough to add her to my range membership so that she can begin shooting regularly. :)

The Pink Lady will see duty as a self defense arm and the Buck Mark will be her plinker.

Eaglebob

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If she just wants target practice either is good. Home defence, Either a pistol or shotgun. If for home defence she needs to learn on the caliber she is going to keep handy.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just went through this with my wife who just came down from Canada. She'd never fired a handgun before and Thursday was her first day to shoot. I started her out on my Ruger Single Six (.22LR). Her first shot was within an inch of the bullseye. After shooting that a while she wanted to shoot the new Charter Arms "Pink Lady" (.38Spl) I had bought for her some time ago which has sat unused in my gunsafe until she came here for good. After 15 rounds she had enough of it. Too much recoil for her she said. Her shots were spread out as well. She then tried my Ruger 22/45 and enjoyed the semi-auto feature of it and that she was consistently shooting tight groups. She also shot my 10/22 but preferred shooting the handguns.

Later that evening she was looking around online and found a picture of a Buck Mark and asked my opinion of it. I told her I had no experience with them but heard they were fine weapons. Yesterday morning we went down to H&H where she handled about a dozen different types of .22 semis... the Beretta Neos, Smith & Wesson 22A, Walther P22 & SP22, Ruger MkIII's and Buck Marks.

She walked out with a new Buck Mark URX...

An hour later we were down at the range with my 22/45 and the Buck Mark where she could shoot them both side by side. In the end she feels she made a good choice with the Buck Mark, enough to add her to my range membership so that she can begin shooting regularly. :)

The Pink Lady will see duty as a self defense arm and the Buck Mark will be her plinker.

Awesome! Looks like you've overcome the biggest hurdle, getting her interested.

I like those Buckmarks. I sitll need to get me one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom